Would a Gen 3 V8 kill Gen 1 resale?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anthony k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see that 2010 thru 2012 MY Raptors are starting to slip in price and I think thats a combination of age and that the 2013 and 2014s have some small changes that make them more desirable. With that said I still see the 2010-12 for sale in the low 30s and 13/14s selling for high 30s. Mileage and overall condition play a factor of course.

At this rate I'm not worried about a potential hit as an owner and I also don't think the hit will be enough that if I wanted to buy one I would wait.

Also the V8 is almost assuredly not coming to the GEN3. Ford is making a full court press that the V6 Ecoboost is their flagship engine. The only reason they haven't pulled the V8 from the Mustang is that enough people would actually purchase them would throw a hissy fit about. Its not like the Ford GT where Joe from accounting talks about how he wouldn't buy it unless it had a V8... uh hey dude the real reason you cannot buy is that you make 50k a year. Whereas he could probably actually buy a Mustang.

Your comments are laughable.

what are the latest developments from ford.....

FPC 5.0
Blown 5.2 in the “flagship” GT500
7.3 gas.....
Yea, ZERO 3.5 development.

tell me more about the full court press on a 2 year old flagship race car....... the ACTUAL NOW is a blown 5.2 and a 7.3 like NOW as in YOU CANT EVEN BUY ONE YET. let reality set in, the 3.5 had its few years, with dodge confirming the hellcat truck, unfortunately your full court press flagship 3.5 is OUTCLASSED and is zero competition for that dodge. NOW a blown 5.2 IS COMPETITIVE. A prepped 7.3 IS COMPETITIVE.

let the real world sink in

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your comments are laughable.

what are the latest developments from ford.....

FPC 5.0
Blown 5.2 in the “flagship” GT500
7.3 gas.....
Yea, ZERO 3.5 development.

tell me more about the full court press on a 2 year old flagship race car....... the ACTUAL NOW is a blown 5.2 and a 7.3 like NOW as in YOU CANT EVEN BUY ONE YET. let reality set in, the 3.5 had its few years, with dodge confirming the hellcat truck, unfortunately your full court press flagship 3.5 is OUTCLASSED and is zero competition for that dodge. NOW a blown 5.2 IS COMPETITIVE. A prepped 7.3 IS COMPETITIVE.

let the real world sink in

Exactly. The Gen2 “15 minutes of fame” are over. The Gen2 never did very well in Baja and now will be completely blown out of the water (horsepower wise at least) by a ‘dodge’ (junk vehicle). Ford is looking at a day of reckoning.

BushwiickBill

Reaction score

let the real world sink in[/QUOTE]

Outclassed..WTF? Concept vehicle to production vehicle are two different things. Horsepower doesn't mean shit off-road if you can't apply it properly to maximize all that HP. I'm down for some Raptor competition because it will make the Raptor and the competition better. If you think Dodge's first entry into the high speed off-road market will overtake 10+ years Ford has in research and real world testing/application...get the F outta here!

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
0-60 doesn’t mean shit especially if you can’t hook it up in dirt.

True, but what percentage of mileage is the average Raptor driven in dirt? I’m going to suggest 5% would be a generous number for the average owners. Some may use them primarily off-road, but most people on here seem to be using them as daily drivers.

Pretty sure there’s a Prius forum you can join.

I still have my testicles, I’ll stick to the VW TDI forums for MPG.

MPG is a concern, even on a Raptor. The Gen 2 Raptor will cost me $1700 more in fuel than my current daily driver at 15K miles annually. I’ll reduce my insurance about $1000 by getting down to one vehicle instead of two. 16 mpg average vs 13 mpg average works out to an additional $650 annually at 15K miles, not a ton but enough for a couple pair of BD Squadrons.

I got rid of my 17 Raptor and bought a "worse" truck in my 13 because after 2 EcoBoosts and cam phasers and timing chain problems I had enough. It's not just sound and if you owned one youd understand that.

I work in the auto service industry, I’m not seeing cam phasers being done on EB motors regularly. I’m not suggesting it doesn’t happen, but the only motor the Ford techs suggest avoiding is the 2.7 EB and nobody I know personally that owns a 3.5 EB has had issues yet (sample size about 3 dozen). With most plaguing issues that one reads about on any vehicle forum, the 3% who experience failures are very vocal, while the 97% who never have a problem are silent. I honestly doubt I’ll be owning any daily driver vehicle out of warranty going forward, so any issues should be taken care of until I sell it. The Raptor can be warranted for 8 years/150K, the 8/125 would probably match my usage. You’re right, I’ll fully concede that I don’t have one yet so I can’t speak to the ownership experience.

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I Too each there own but to stay in the stone ages for sound...good luck with that!

Yeah, because an OHC 6.2L V8 putting out over 400 HP N/A is completely "stone age". I'm sure Ford could never do better than that either 15 years later.

However add another 30 HP via a ton of boost on a old Ford Cyclone engine design and it's super advanced huh?

You EB engine cheerleaders are ******* delusional.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got rid of my 17 Raptor and bought a "worse" truck in my 13 because after 2 EcoBoosts and cam phasers and timing chain problems I had enough. It's not just sound and if you owned one youd understand that.

Going back to the stone age I see. Your Mr Fusion powerplant wasn't all it was cracked up to be?