Would a Gen 3 V8 kill Gen 1 resale?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMIB99

Reaction score
Hello all. Hypothetical here...Its no secret that Gen 1's have held there value better than Ford, or any Gen 1 owner, could have ever anticipated. Some argue its the fact that the Gen 2's are over produced, or due to the V6 twin turbo.

I'm a new member but have been reading through posts on here for over a year now. My general take away is that everyone loves their rig whether its a Gen 1 or Gen 2. But, I have noticed that the guys who've had both usually mention how they wish they held onto their Gen 1. I am hoping to buy a Gen 1 myself, sooner than later. And yes, the V8 has a lot to do with it.

With that said, what if the Gen 3 came with a V8 option? Would a Gen 3, V8 Raptor kill the Gen 1 resale market?

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jersey Boy....enough talk...go and buy it....you will never regret it....Jersey boy here also...Bergen County....had my Gen 1 for 10 months..and its a Blast.....
As far as values of a Gen1-Gen3...never been good at predicting the future,as most divorced guys can attest to....but will say,they will have to pry my cold-stiff hands from the steering wheel before they get my Gen1..!
Where in Jersey??

OP
OP
JMIB99

JMIB99

Reaction score
Ocean County here. I almost pulled the trigger on one 2 weeks ago. 2013 Red Screw, fully loaded with 28.3k miles. It was beautiful. Out the door price was going to be $49,500. As nice as it was I just couldn't wrap my head around paying that for a 6 year old truck that brand new MSRP'ed at $56k.

Here's the link for it:
https://www.jonathanmotorcars.com/2013-ford-f-150-svt-raptor-c-852.htm

I still am dreaming about it though.

PlainJane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, Gen 1 are going to take a big hit when Gen 3 come out with or without a V8.
If there is a V8, they might get a little bump after the hit as there is going to a premium for the V8 model. I have seen Gen 1 advertised in California for Less than 25K, one as low as 17K that claimed a clean record and looked good in the pictures with 133K miles.

OP
OP
JMIB99

JMIB99

Reaction score
I suppose I'll get the answer in about a year. Real question is can I wait that long and how big of a hit?

I have a number that I feel comfortable spending. If the right deal comes along I'll go for it now. Otherwise, it's the waiting game for me.

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good question. My thought being a Gen 1 in excellent condition will always get a premium price. Based on the simple fact that a Gen X V8 will be near $100,000. Makes a $40,000 Gen 1 a bargain for basically the same performance. Depends on if you're a driver or driving to be seen.....

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see that 2010 thru 2012 MY Raptors are starting to slip in price and I think thats a combination of age and that the 2013 and 2014s have some small changes that make them more desirable. With that said I still see the 2010-12 for sale in the low 30s and 13/14s selling for high 30s. Mileage and overall condition play a factor of course.

At this rate I'm not worried about a potential hit as an owner and I also don't think the hit will be enough that if I wanted to buy one I would wait.

Also the V8 is almost assuredly not coming to the GEN3. Ford is making a full court press that the V6 Ecoboost is their flagship engine. The only reason they haven't pulled the V8 from the Mustang is that enough people would actually purchase them would throw a hissy fit about. Its not like the Ford GT where Joe from accounting talks about how he wouldn't buy it unless it had a V8... uh hey dude the real reason you cannot buy is that you make 50k a year. Whereas he could probably actually buy a Mustang.

Last edited:

Andrew72

Reaction score
@jbib99 get a 13-14, more refined, preferably a 14 with low miles. Wouldn’t worry a ton about resale value if you plan to actually off-road your truck. It would be like not having sex with the woman you’re with so that she’ll be in better condition for the next guy.. in that case, thanks!