Would a Gen 3 V8 kill Gen 1 resale?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your comments are laughable.

what are the latest developments from ford.....

FPC 5.0
Blown 5.2 in the “flagship” GT500
7.3 gas.....
Yea, ZERO 3.5 development.

tell me more about the full court press on a 2 year old flagship race car....... the ACTUAL NOW is a blown 5.2 and a 7.3 like NOW as in YOU CANT EVEN BUY ONE YET. let reality set in, the 3.5 had its few years, with dodge confirming the hellcat truck, unfortunately your full court press flagship 3.5 is OUTCLASSED and is zero competition for that dodge. NOW a blown 5.2 IS COMPETITIVE. A prepped 7.3 IS COMPETITIVE.

let the real world sink in

Not to be that guy, but my dad recently retired from exec level at Ford. The Ecoboost is THE engine they are pushing.

7.3 is meant to a heavy hitter in the truck world, for sure, but considering the application the ecoboost is probably not the best engine. They are pushing the engine, not be blind like they were with the Edsel.

All those engines you mention are great engines but you are ignoring almost all of their other sales. Many people like the 2.0 EB. Its in the new Land Rover and is apparently selling like hot cakes. The 2.7L is building its own niche amongst F150 owners. Most people buying cars from Ford aren't buying blown 5.2 engines. Most people aren't buying Raptors. Most people are buying Focus, Fusion, Fiesta... etc. all with EB engines.

Also you mention the Hellcat truck concept... You remind me of a former coworker who used to talk about the TRX left and right how much better it was than a Raptor... Production vehicles will always win over vaporware concepts. You can claim that Ford will be behind the curve in a few years, but until then they just aren't.

Let the real world sink in.

Last edited:

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going back to the stone age I see. Your Mr Fusion powerplant wasn't all it was cracked up to be?

Haha yep! 2 years with my 13 and 60k miles with zero issues. I was lucky I didnt get nailed with those 3k bills when the EcoBoosts would break. Now my wife has a 6.4 SRT Grand Cherokee and i have my 13. I'll stick with N/As.

True, but what percentage of mileage is the average Raptor driven in dirt? I’m going to suggest 5% would be a generous number for the average owners. Some may use them primarily off-road, but most people on here seem to be using them as daily drivers.

I still have my testicles, I’ll stick to the VW TDI forums for MPG.

MPG is a concern, even on a Raptor. The Gen 2 Raptor will cost me $1700 more in fuel than my current daily driver at 15K miles annually. I’ll reduce my insurance about $1000 by getting down to one vehicle instead of two. 16 mpg average vs 13 mpg average works out to an additional $650 annually at 15K miles, not a ton but enough for a couple pair of BD Squadrons.

I work in the auto service industry, I’m not seeing cam phasers being done on EB motors regularly. I’m not suggesting it doesn’t happen, but the only motor the Ford techs suggest avoiding is the 2.7 EB and nobody I know personally that owns a 3.5 EB has had issues yet (sample size about 3 dozen). With most plaguing issues that one reads about on any vehicle forum, the 3% who experience failures are very vocal, while the 97% who never have a problem are silent. I honestly doubt I’ll be owning any daily driver vehicle out of warranty going forward, so any issues should be taken care of until I sell it. The Raptor can be warranted for 8 years/150K, the 8/125 would probably match my usage. You’re right, I’ll fully concede that I don’t have one yet so I can’t speak to the ownership experience.

Ford told me the same thing when I had problems with my first ecoboost, but 4 failures right around warranty ending was enough. Gave the 17 raptor a chance.. happened to it too. I'm not going to trade vehicles in every few years just to keep up with the Jones's. A vehicle needs to be really special for me to buy it now.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Yeah, because an OHC 6.2L V8 putting out over 400 HP N/A is completely "stone age". I'm sure Ford could never do better than that either 15 years later.

However add another 30 HP via a ton of boost on a old Ford Cyclone engine design and it's super advanced huh?

You EB engine cheerleaders are ******* delusional.

Who is being delusional? I thought the EB Raptors had 50 more HP, not 30. Additionally, 18 psi is not a ton of boost. Is there some sort of head gasket or turbo issue that I am not aware of?

Add to that dropping 600 lbs. Yes, we're the delusional cheerleaders. Sounds like you have Ecoboost Derangement Syndrome.

Is your last name Shiff? Good thing you have a 400 hp truck, otherwise you'd be late to the protest. :^)

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who is being delusional? I thought the EB Raptors had 50 more HP, not 30. Additionally, 18 psi is not a ton of boost. Is there some sort of head gasket or turbo issue that I am not aware of?

Add to that dropping 600 lbs. Yes, we're the delusional cheerleaders. Sounds like you have Ecoboost Derangement Syndrome.

Is your last name Shiff? Good thing you have a 400 hp truck, otherwise you'd be late to the protest. :^)

It has always been known the gen 2 had 39 more hp.. not 50. 411 to 450. and the supercrew curb weight is only 400 lbs, seriously whoever told you those numbers feed you some major bs.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
It has always been known the gen 2 had 39 more hp.. not 50. 411 to 450. and the supercrew curb weight is only 400 lbs, seriously whoever told you those numbers feed you some major bs.
Bro, he wrote 400 horsepower in his post.
I thought I had read 600 lbs., I guess 400 lbs is some major BS though? lol.

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bro, he wrote 400 horsepower in his post.
I thought I had read 600 lbs., I guess 400 lbs is some major BS though? lol.

"Over 400" aka couldn't be bothered to write 411, who cares.

I'm not disputing your truck is lighter, just that you have no clue what you're talking about... "my truck has 50 more hp.. its 600 lbs lighter blah blah blah" read the spec sheet ffs.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
"Over 400" aka couldn't be bothered to write 411, who cares.

I'm not disputing your truck is lighter, just that you have no clue what you're talking about... "my truck has 50 more hp.. its 600 lbs lighter blah blah blah" read the spec sheet ffs.

Sigh... How about this. Your truck has 39 less HP and weighs 400 lb. more. Are those specs correct? Why should I read the spec sheet, the original guy flinging shit apparently couldn't be bothered, and you call me out on it. Who really gives a shit? Both trucks are state of the art at the time of production, why tear down the latest version? Folks have issues with both iterations. If you don't want the newest version, it's all good. Put the gun back in the drawer, you're still a baller.

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sigh... How about this. Your truck has 39 less HP and weighs 400 lb. more. Are those specs correct? Why should I read the spec sheet, the original guy flinging shit apparently couldn't be bothered, and you call me out on it. Who really gives a shit? Both trucks are state of the art at the time of production, why tear down the latest version? Folks have issues with both iterations. If you don't want the newest version, it's all good. Put the gun back in the drawer, you're still a baller.

We’re not gonna let you off that quick LOL!!!