Would a Gen 3 V8 kill Gen 1 resale?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a shopper I wouldn’t consider a Gen 1 Raptor because of the generally poor fuel economy, the V6 getting ~16 is barely tolerable as a daily driver. There may be more value in a V8 to some, but not all of us want to spend that much on fuel. Also, I never see performance being discussed in the Gen 1 vs Gen 2 threads. According to the numbers the Gen 2 is 1.7 seconds faster to 60. I would assume that the suspension is also improved on the Gen 2. I don’t own either, but why would someone pine for a worse performing truck based on just engine sound?

Any so-called “advantage” between a Gen1 and Gen2 (on dirt) will come down to driver skill level. To put this in perspective (for a non Raptor driver) ANY Raptor is completely superior on dirt to ANY other 4x4. My 2012 is head and shoulders above any other available new manufacture 4 wheel drive period. Your idea of “worse performing” is relative. The floor of Raptor performance is beyond the highest ability of a non Raptor.

You would have to own one to understand.

BushwiickBill

Reaction score
I've never not had a v8 in a truck until my 19 Raptor. Before that it was a 2014 Raptor that I owned for 5 years and older model F150/250s. It's not close to how the 19 out performs my 14 (I upgraded 14 with fox 3.0s, deavers, The Tune and bumps 2 years in). I've drove the shit out of that 14 but it doesn't compare to the 19. Live valve is a game changer and with the release of the new 3.0 factory race series upgrades...lights out.

My conclusion about a v8 now...I give two ***** about a v8. Hell, put a v4 that out performs the v6 and I'm down. Too each there own but to stay in the stone ages for sound...good luck with that!

Marcus85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could care less about resale value of my Gen 1 because I'll never sell it. It's the pinnacle of off road performance before building an all out trophy truck. I have 0 interest in any Ford ecoboost power plants, don't care who endorses them or what numbers they put up I'd never put a dime of my own money into owning one.

Ford could have earned my 70k and sold a new truck sold this year if they offered an engine choice, instead they chose to remain cucks to the previous administrations EPA regulations. I've never owned a Ram or GM, I'll have to see what the future holds but the Raptor in it's current configuration is nothing more than an afterthought.

OP
OP
JMIB99

JMIB99

Reaction score
The Raptor has been in a class of its own since it was introduced to the market in 2010. I don't think that'll ever change. But, its nice that it will finally have some competition from Ram's Rebel TRX and maybe even from Chevy, with a rumored Silverado 1500 Trail Boss overhaul for 2021 or 2022. A little competition never hurt anyone, but usually makes you better.

With that said, because the Raptor is basically perfect as is, I do believe Ford will be making some decisions on the Gen 3 to ensure it stays ahead of competitors, like the 2021 Ram Rebel TRX. Ford is supposedly testing a rear coil suspension system similar to that in the Ram 1500 potentially for the Gen 3.

https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/09/20...is-a-closer-look-at-the-real-coil-suspension/

By looking at what Dodge/Ram has done with other models, I imagine the base Rebel is going to get some sort of a suspension upgrade, and price bump, to make it more comparable to the Raptor. Then they'll probably offer the Rebel TRX, that has the hellcat engine, for $100k.

I think Ford will follow suit and offer 2 engine options: (1) the twin-turbo EcoBoost V6 as currently constituted and (2) either a supercharged 5.2L or a 7.3L. I imagine option 1 would keep the current Raptor pricing and option 2 would come with a $100k MSRP.

ktmcolorado

Reaction score
I think some of the luster has worn off Raptor in general because of the watering down of the model and loss of distinction. Face it, when you spend extra to get a 'special' vehicle you want it to stand out as a special vehicle. Losing the SVT badging and aura was bad enough, but now that Ford has started sharing cosmetic features across the brand it loses some of the distinction you pay for as well. The new models sharing that grill with non-Raptor F-150's was a mistake. In the earlier models even non-aficionado's could pick out a Raptor at a stop light. Now you have to do a double take.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Biased here as I own a Gen1, but for me it was about owning a piece of history. I picked a ‘14 as it was the last year it was made, in addition to it having the most up to date tech possible in a Gen1.

After having snooped around this forum, it seems to me that the Gen2 guys are about having the latest and greatest while the Gen1 guys are more about the classic appeal of an iconoclast.

MPG is always painful at the pump, but I don’t think I would trade my Gen1 for a Gen2 or even Gen3 w a V8.

Like they said, but it now, you won’t regret it. I didn’t at least.

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgetting engines, the gen 1 will always have some inherent advantages. First, it was a bespoke vehicle that was viewed as "special", and the limited production added to that. The gen 2 is a trim level. That doesn't mean the gen 2 isn't awesome, but some of the mystique isn't there. The gen 1 Raptor was ground breaking.