GEN 1 Will this surface cause head gasket failure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
“we cannot diagnose .. without having the engine here”.

Ok. They pay for transport to them, they have 3 days to complete analysis and ship engine back. That seems fair. OR, they can send a rep to investigate at the other shop - it’s not like they don’t have these things called “cars”. I would avail myself of the facilitation and offer to let them inspect at the other mechanic’s shop or they can pay to have the components transported to them and back. This failure is just... hard to believe. While it seems pretty obvious this shop isn’t going to stand behind their work, I think that if you make the effort to negotiate with them now, going to court later you may have a better chance of success. I know that seems like a waste of time, but they should have to pay and if making a little effort now achieves that in the end, I think it would be worth it. Otherwise they get away with it and are free to victimize others.

I find their response lacking credibility, in all honesty. I’m sure a lot of folks here have a lot more engine building experience than I do, but I rebuilt 4... I think V8’s, completely and helped a buddy do 2 of his. None of the mechanics I learned from, none of the shops I interacted with or paid, would use that cylinder head, regardless of when/where the damage came from. In fact I recall one of my 455 Olds heads had a tiny, we’re talking measure with a micrometer; nick in it. Ultimately we were able to machine it smooth, but the machine shop was thorough. When completed, those heads were like works of art.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m not sure how it works down there, but you will most likely have to take it to court with these guys, they are banking on it. At this point weigh your costs and future court costs and time and decide if it’s worth the gamble. Yes they did a botched job putting that head on like that, but in the end they have now offered for you to send the engine back to them which is ridiculous to do and they know it, and a judge may have to agree with you that you didn’t want to risk sending it to them again, it might be a hard pill to swallow. Not sure, but get some more advice.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Description says "F250, f350 super duty. Right. Without cng/lpg prep pkg. F150. Without valves." so...I'd guess valves, springs, seals, retainers (#6-10), you should be able to swap over the rockers/rails, phaser, etc. Good luck and let us know, I agree with the consensus that the head is a paperweight...

JY? You mean SD?
I think JY refers to Junk Yard engine.
Thats where I would start if I have to replace mine.

OP
OP
Valky

Valky

Reaction score
Small update, rest of the parts came but I forgot freeze plugs. Any recommendations on which ones to use? I see summit racing has brass ones, I'm having trouble locating the oem ones.

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Small update, rest of the parts came but I forgot freeze plugs. Any recommendations on which ones to use? I see summit racing has brass ones, I'm having trouble locating the oem ones.

I just ordered a set of 1-1/2" expansion plugs for my heads. OEM P/N is F6AZ-6026-BA. Hope that helps. Good luck getting things sorted.

OP
OP
Valky

Valky

Reaction score
Okay this is driving me crazy, I can not identify the pin/plug this is. It's pretty much the only hangup for the moment.

20220224_175301.jpg20220224_175442.jpg

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well shit man! This is bank 1 correct? The only other plug number I can find that goes into the cylinder head is 3L3Z-6026-AA. Looks like it's 18mm. Can you measure that hole to check it? You scared the hell out of me though. I believe mine was still there on Bank 1 looking back pictures. However, I don't have anything there on bank 2. Oof.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well shit man! This is bank 1 correct? The only other plug number I can find that goes into the cylinder head is 3L3Z-6026-AA. Looks like it's 18mm. Can you measure that hole to check it? You scared the hell out of me though. I believe mine was still there on Bank 1 looking back pictures. However, I don't have anything there on bank 2. Oof.
Are you using eCAT? I’m seeing AL3Z-6052-A; it’s labeled as a 14mm plug.

OP
OP
Valky

Valky

Reaction score
Thank you both, the 3L3Z-6026-AA is one of the ones I already had, the head needs two of those on top like in my picture here. I have now ordered AL3Z-6052-A. The hole is smaller than 18mm, so 14mm sounds exactly right. I was going to have to get creative if I couldn't figure this out lol. I'm so excited to get my truck back together. 20220301_195407.jpg