Moon roof rubber gasket seal maintenance, what lubricant?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Monte87

Reaction score
Hi guys-

I have a 2022 Raptor, 26k miles on it. I was looking at the moon roof rubber gasket seal over weekend and it looks a little dried up. I wanted to lubricate it, what is the best stuff to use on that gasket to prevent it from drying up and having leakage down the road?

Thanks Anthony

Kyle@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I bought a tube of

Krytox by Chemours GPL 205 Grease, Pure PFPE/PTFE, 0.5 oz Tube (D10170248)​

Ford recommends it for the seal. It's expensive but it works.
This. It is expensive, but works. I do it every quarter on my Gen 2. 5 years and almost 90K miles and I’ve never had a problem with my sunroof.

pirates1456

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a bunch of different recommended areas to Lubricate. Which parts do you actually apply the grease to? Just the exterior seals?

OP
OP
Monte87

Monte87

Reaction score
I bought a tube of

Krytox by Chemours GPL 205 Grease, Pure PFPE/PTFE, 0.5 oz Tube (D10170248)​

Ford recommends it for the seal. It's expensive but it works.
Thanks, appreciate your reply! How do you get to the areas that are unobtainable? Do you remove entire glass portion of roof? What about the seal on the portion of the glass roof that doesnt move? Or just try and squeeze it in somehow??

Anthony

OP
OP
Monte87

Monte87

Reaction score
This. It is expensive, but works. I do it every quarter on my Gen 2. 5 years and almost 90K miles and I’ve never had a problem with my sunroof.
Thanks for reply and help! appreciate it!
same question, How do you get area of roof and rubber seal that is unobtainable? Do you just drip it in w q-tip and let saturate.
Anthony

OP
OP
Monte87

Monte87

Reaction score
There's a bunch of different recommended areas to Lubricate. Which parts do you actually apply the grease to? Just the exterior seals?
Good question, im at a loss myself unless the glass roof is removed and rubber seal is completely lubed and reinstalled. I still dont know how to get seal on glass roof that isnt removable.

dh2002

Reaction score
I wash the area then after it dries I use alcohol to clean the seal all the way around on part that are tight I use a qtip. after the alcohol dries I use the grease on the entire seal, again the parts that are tight I use a tip. I also clean out the inside gutters that the water travels down to the drain tubes to clean out any dirt that could build up in the tubes causing blockage. its a process but if it prevents leaking inside and mold its worth it.

OP
OP
Monte87

Monte87

Reaction score
I wash the area then after it dries I use alcohol to clean the seal all the way around on part that are tight I use a qtip. after the alcohol dries I use the grease on the entire seal, again the parts that are tight I use a tip. I also clean out the inside gutters that the water travels down to the drain tubes to clean out any dirt that could build up in the tubes causing blockage. its a process but if it prevents leaking inside and mold its worth it.
Ok, Got it!!!!! Thanks for the detailed reply and vid!!! Appreciqate it!!!
Question --> Where are the drain tubes located? "Inside gutters" do you mean the under track area's correct??

Thanks Anthony