2017 Raptor - good price?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crisflores54

Reaction score
Hi all! New to the forum and all things raptor here. This is going to be my first pick up but first wanted to chat with you all about high mileage trucks. I’m currently eyeing a 2017 raptor with 77k miles, blue color, for 41.9 ( dealer is able to drop to 41.3) to get the deal done. Before I do that, should I save up a bit more to get a newer model? I know these trucks last a while with proper maintenance but do you all think the asking price is fair? It doesn’t come with a moon roof or anything like that. Looks like it has a leveling kit already installed and a bedcover. Super excited but saw on carfax that it had 5 previous owner so that’s a red flag to me.

RaptorFan1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd walk if it has had 5 previous owners. You can find better options at that price point with those miles. If you insist on looking into this one you can check these forums for cam phaser rattle and keep your eye out for that. It's possible it's had the warranty work done in which it's largely a non-issue after that. With that being said, a well maintained 3.5 will go a lot longer than 77K.

Rptrrob702

Reaction score
That blue one looks really good actually with 5 owners. Does carfax list any major repairs done to it? How about basic service records? Lastly, I would pay for a 3rd party inspection of the vehicle. Having no panoramic sunroof is bonus. Mine has broken twice already since i've owned my gen 2.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Low 40’s is not terrible, but, you will almost certainly need new shocks all around, because with 5 owners, chances are they didn’t drop the coin on new or rebuilt shocks. For 2017’s, you have a few things to check for

1) oil leak from the plastic oil pan. It’s rare, but when it happens, it’s exceedingly difficult for most stealership service departments to fix. You have to get under and look with a powerful light and feel around.
2) cam phaser noise. you need a cold soak startup. That means at least 12 hours since the last startup. if it sounds like marbles in a can, they need to repair the cam phasers. Service records, Oasis & Fordpass would show if the service memo ( or was it a TSB ) was performed to change the programming.
- I seem to recall, if that programming caused shuddering, to back it off and if it was backed off, that could be a sign of premature engine wear. Someone backstop me here.

3) if it doesn’t have a moonroof, inquiring minds want to know WHY YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY PURCHASED THIS UNICORN?
the moonroof is an infamous part for failures on the f series with the tracks breaking most frequently. it’s a costly repair that can be avoided.
- always pop the moonroof to the vent position FIRST, then close.
- if it makes a popping sound, repeat.
- if no popping sound, close and move the glass to the rear. The ‘pop’ is the glass sticking to the gasket and that force can often be enough to break the tracks.
- regularly grease the moonroof gaskets with Krytox grease.

4) once the truck is warmed up, get a long, robust test drive. You’re going to need to be able to get hard on the throttle a few times in normal mode and sport mode. Make sure the shifting is acceptable. Sport should be a bit more aggressive up and down but beware of really hard shifts, or really lazy shifts.

5) lifted Raptors tend to wear the front drive components more. There have been a few FRF who have found this out and were not covered by warranty. Again, a good test drive to be sure.

OP
OP
C

crisflores54

Reaction score
That blue one looks really good actually with 5 owners. Does carfax list any major repairs done to it? How about basic service records? Lastly, I would pay for a 3rd party inspection of the vehicle. Having no panoramic sunroof is bonus. Mine has broken twice already since i've owned my gen 2.
Just basic maintenance. No repairs. Just your standard check up’s here and there. May have a 3rd party take a look

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
5 Owners is interesting, any one of them own it a real short time, especially owners 3 & 4?

Different type of vehicle/use, but I bought a 2011 GT500 back in 2014 and was the 4th owner.
First two people combined put 2k miles on it
Third owner put 1.2k miles on it before selling it to me.
sold it with ~14k miles on it to get my first Raptor.