Whipple's 6.2L 650hp Raptor system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Glad to hear, now get some rear springs. You do not what to hurt the drive shaft.
I have not had time to do my springs.
Also to be warned if you pass someone with a crazy move and it happens kicks down into first you will spin as well
until the traction control kicks in. Puckered my butt up for a day. LOL
I also drive with the traction control off on clear days so I'm always ready to have fun.
It's a whole new truck now.

Last edited:

Stig1

Reaction score
hmmm, rear springs.... Makes sense, under hard acceleration I'm noticing the front of the truck is light (floating) all the way up to about 90 mph.

Where is the post about springs, I'll check it out.

Combined with the borla sport cat back, Sound is tough on the highway when cruising at 75-80 with exhaust. Not sure if I call it drone or not, but it may be an expensive swap out if I cant get used to it.

Now we'll see if I can get more that 800 miles on it in a year!!

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f9/axle-hop-explaination-cheap-cure-10528/#post145831

I'm going to try this one as money has gotten a little tight.

$350 at the shop that will do it for me.

If you have money go with the Standard Nationals through RGP and tell him you do not what to raise the rear, it would be a special order.
Raising the rear will put more strees on the drive shaft, it's the weakest link in the truck and with all this HP you are going to run into problems.
Like possible having the drive shaft break at high speeds.

Some members are finding out what happens when you raise you truck with Forced Air Induction.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f9/d...-just-broke-2nd-drive-shaft-13970/#post209388

Last edited:

chinook2

Reaction score
Adding my truck to the Whipple population. 2010 SCAB, so a bit different than most. Some observations:
1. Torque on the highway improved - easy to maintain or speed up (and quiet!)
2. 60 to 90 on a downshift is incredible! Front twists and tries to lift up.
3. Drivability - the boost is not apparent violently, but respondent to more throttle, kind of different than I'd expected (or perhaps feared).
4. Whipple had to send the Chip to Ford for the flash.
5. The AC is OUTSTANDING - better than before and was good to begin with. Either the new location of the temp sensor, the 160 deg thermostat, or the upgraded intercooler (?)
6. Truck is stock otherwise - on purpose.
7. Have a brand new on the pallet pair of Kooks long tube headers for sale if anyone is interested.
8. Happy but still learning and driving to get used to what it can do.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Very nice to hear!!!

I would hold on the those headers for just a while longer, like I have said Ford and Whipple have been getting feedback as to LT Headers so you never know.

One question, who put in the 160 thermostat, I was told I could not. The truck needed to be at 190.

I would love to put a 160 degree themostat in :)

But if it's working for you let me know after you have put some miles on it.

Last edited:

chinook2

Reaction score
Worked the truck yesterday - 105 on the outside temp, put 800 lb of boxes w/ film in the back - and it still had all the mojo and AC.
The indication I have is from the packing box, and no statement from the installer that they didn't put the thermostat in. I'd had Ford warranty replacement of the thermostat a month ago - it was squeeling when activating, so I'm guessing the Whipple kit was installed per specs and included the thermostat. No way to check w/ them - 2 different guys worked on it and 1 is no longer w/ the co. The kit I bought included the upgraded intercooler - so maybe a variable?
What was the reason they wouldn't install the 160?
And...thanks for the positive thoughts. While I'd have loved to have the growl from the headers - I'm hard pressed to mess w/ success!

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will shoot Whipple an email just so there isn't any misunderstanding.

I was told by the SVT tech that did the install that I could not put a cooler thermostat in. This is how the SC Mustangs must run as well, he pointed out.

Now I'm confused because this Killer Chiller and 160 thermostat is common pratice with SC Mustangs and SC Lightings.

And I never got around to asking that question with Whipple. But I will now :)

I have always used a 160 in my 1997 2dr Tahoe in the past with Hypertech Programmer, 93 Octane Tune. Worked great!!!

Last edited:

chinook2

Reaction score
You might ask for "Jeff". He spoke w/ me last time I had questions about the tune and was very helpful. Good luck - look forward to hearing what's up.
I missed it in the thread - are you having issues w/ the temperature on the engine?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No not at all, I am concerned for you, running cold sometimes can make the fuel ratio to lean. (edit) sorry rich.
But I am almost certain that the PCM would correct, just not 100% positive.

I have sent an email the Dustin Whipple he's always busy so it might take a day or two.

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

Ok I just got an email,

The 160 degree thermostat comes in the kit. So you are all good!!! The Ford Racing Tune is adjusted for it.
The thing is, it is very hard to maintain 160 on our engines on very hot days.

Now I have to check with my SVT tech at the Ford Dealer and double check if he did or did not install it. that was four months ago.
I never saw all the stuff that came and I did not get a packing slip. I should have ask for it.

I would be kinda thrilled if he did not put the 160 in, because that would mean even more power!!!!

Last edited: