Banging my head! Multiple turbo failures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interested in the outcome here. Not a turbo expert but when things are hard to diagnose like this, it usually ends up being something dumb....... or something that isnt what it seems at the surface in my experience.

I once helped my neighbor diagnose an ingition problem on his Malibu Surf Boat. We did plugs, wires, you name it. It was throwing injector error codes as well.

Had him take me out on the lake and he said watch this. Every time we hit a wave the engine would cut out. Seemed strange how well it ran and what not otherwise which led me to believe it was electrical. Called up my ole buddy that has worked on all kinds of inboard boats for 30 years.....

He says to me, "shake the ignition key". Well Ill be damned there it was, engine started cutting out at the dock. Things were loose and we had bad ignition contacts behind the dash.

Tightened all that up. Problem solved.
@Bryan_Arlaud See my post from quite a while ago, glad you figured it out.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I still have at least one question. The first picture below shows clear turbine blade over fire with melted metal. That is explained with the plugged intake and a control system designed to add boost and fuel.

But how did the FOB damage happen on the inlet of the compressor wheel. As shown in the second picture. Did the intake come apart? Something got past the filter or entered between the filter and the compressor wheel.

Attachments

• IMG_5528.png
    IMG_5528.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5529.png
    IMG_5529.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 10

weakssauce

Reaction score
UPDATE!!

its alive and runs like mad. The truck absolutely rips.

What we found out was an air flow issue. the new hood that was installed has a cross brace in the front for support. That brace has about 1/4" to 1/2" of clearance in front of the snorkel from the air box and about a quarter of it completely blocked. We simply couldn't get enough air. We removed the clear cover off the S&B intake box and just like magic it works great! We were all so focused on oil issues that we never thought to look at air flow.
what hood? need to make sure i never buy it lol