Banging my head! Multiple turbo failures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What did the Turbo people say about the damage?
I'm no expert either, but have dabbled in a couple turbo applications, and one that melted down like yours.

My thought is there is an oiling issue. Thus causing severe heat deformation before ultimate failure. Picture the shaft getting super heated, a bearing starts to fail causing more heat in the shaft. The compressor wheel spinning at exceptionally high RPM gets a tiny wobble due to the shaft melting and deforming. It nicks the housing and shatters, sending shrapnel though the compressed air into the charge tube and into intercooler. On the back side of the shaft, the exhaust turbine grenades from the shaft coming apart and coming in contact with the housing, parts of the shaft or god-knows what.
Once the heat induces shaft deformation and contact or just straight shears, there will be catastrophic damage.
Hopefully debris from the intercooler did not make it into the engine!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bryan_Arlaud

Bryan_Arlaud

Reaction score
*** UPDATE ***

The truck is back in my position.

Ford went through the truck again. They went through all oil passages, the oil filer housing and attached oil cooler, checked or replaced all the external oil feed lines and found no blockage. We did get an external oil pressure gauge connected directly to the turbo and can see that the turbo has oil pressure that rises and falls based off RPM of the engine. Oil pressure is 22-25 PSI at idle and 55-65 PSI at 3000 RPM

What was found was the turbo smart OBV was not opening smoothly do to dust on the cylinder that is spring operated and the spark plugs were extremely fouled, also my tuner said it was running lean so we added more fuel. however there is no clear cut reason for why this is happening. Ford said if the truck was stock they would give me a new one under the lemon law as they cant figure out why its doing this.

That all being said i have spent close to $9000 with ford to fix a problem they cant fix.

i have trailered the truck home and when I get back from Utah I'll get it up in the air and i'm going to do the oil volume check. the only thing that i can thing of is pressure with out volume.

More to add soon.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It’s not perfect, but it is progress.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
*** UPDATE ***

The truck is back in my position.

Ford went through the truck again. They went through all oil passages, the oil filer housing and attached oil cooler, checked or replaced all the external oil feed lines and found no blockage. We did get an external oil pressure gauge connected directly to the turbo and can see that the turbo has oil pressure that rises and falls based off RPM of the engine. Oil pressure is 22-25 PSI at idle and 55-65 PSI at 3000 RPM

What was found was the turbo smart OBV was not opening smoothly do to dust on the cylinder that is spring operated and the spark plugs were extremely fouled, also my tuner said it was running lean so we added more fuel. however there is no clear cut reason for why this is happening. Ford said if the truck was stock they would give me a new one under the lemon law as they cant figure out why its doing this.

That all being said i have spent close to $9000 with ford to fix a problem they cant fix.

i have trailered the truck home and when I get back from Utah I'll get it up in the air and i'm going to do the oil volume check. the only thing that i can thing of is pressure with out volume.

More to add soon.
Why not de-tune, reduce boost and timing advance. Then work towards more performance?

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure if it was mentioned before, but i think the stock turbos have an oil filter screen in them, do these have something similar and its clogged up?