Whipple's 6.2L 650hp Raptor system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For me this mod is to envolved for now. I would have to reroute everything, make brackets, ect....

Thank you for the info

I may just call Whipple and see if there is a upgrade pump for the system. It may be more $$$ then what you are doing but easier for me this way.

I have also opened the cap up on the tank and I have to say the fluid moves pretty darn fast the way it is, but any improvement in cooling is a big benefit!!!

Last edited:

rbarn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MTF, what are your current intake air temps on a warm day (85+) ? ... 120-130+ F ?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure from what part of the intake side you are trying to get temps off of.
The best place would be under the intercooler.
I wouldn't even know if you could fit a sensor in the intake manifold under the intercooler to check that.
But I can tell you 90+ days you do feel some HP loss, even with the upgraded heat exchanger.
I will be adding two 10" fans to the back side of the heat exchanger before next summer to deal with driving in NYC traffic.
I'm really taking a close look at the Killer Chiller but with a electric compressor instead of tapping into the AC system.
I am very impressed on how low (down to 47 F and thats on the return side!) the fluid temp gets with this Killer Chiller system.

Last edited:

rbarn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hot day power loss is from heat soak. As air intake temps rise the computer pulls timing. There is already an air temp sensor post intercooler. The computer sees these temps and adjust the tune accordingly. Look on the lower intake manifold you should see a sensor screwed into one of the runners.

Upgrading the pump and adding fans to a large heat exchanger helps a LOT.
Seeing boosted intake temps at or close to ambient are possible

You use one of these gauges that plugs into the OBDII system and you can read pretty much every sensor the computer sees.
AeroForceGauge
Get one of those gauges and wire up a boost sensor and you can see everything that is important.

I have a killer chiller sitting here for my Mustang project.
kchiller.jpg

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes yes know all about heat soak that's why I went with the upgrade when I pre ordered mine two years ago.

Why did you not go with the Killer Chiller for the Raptor?
Man that thing looks sweet, I wish they would have a kit for the Raptor!

As for the inter cooler sensor, I may need the PID Code for my Actron plus scanner because right now I do not see it. I have a bunch of temp reouts including AMB Temp which is the same as outside temp.
Going to have to call Actron!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Whipple Charged

Whipple Charged

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You do want to upgrade the heat exchanger, but dont waste money on the $400 whipple upgrade.

For same money you can get:

1. Meziere 20gpm water pump + fittings .... $250
2. CRX ebay single or double pass heat exchanger ..... $150 (pretty much same core Whipple charges $400 for)
3. (2x) ebay 7" radiator fans ...... $50
4. Misc relays and fuses ..... $100
Total ........................... $550

Twin screw and roots superchargers love to get heat soaked and overwhelm the modest intercooling systems that come stock.

The stock Bosch water pump is rated at 5gpm "free flowing", but only flows 1gpm in real life when plumbed into the system. Go pour out a 1 gallon jug over 60 seconds and you will see how slow the water is pumping through your intercooler. The Meziere pump is rated at 20gpm and flows about 5gpm when plumbed into the system. This greatly improves intercooler efficiency.

This is not exactly correct, might be some confusion. We have a new heat exchanger coming out with dual fans that is massive. It's 3" x 18" x 24". It also fits in our brackets so a customer can install without doing anything extra. Plug and play wiring for the fans, all the fittings/hoses to work. No need to fab brackets, weld, cut, trim.....

As for pumps, the standard Bosch does very well with the smaller HE systems that are "standard"l. 20gpm is a bit too much from our testing on many of the Ford Cobra Jet's. The best IC pump for big HE and reservoir systems is the Ford GT IC pump which is betweeen 10-15gpm. This is very quiet and reliable and doesn't vibrate as much.

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is one big thing I'm loving about Whipple, always concerned about customers feedbacks!!!
And going the extra step to do the right thing!

Last edited:

rbarn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is not exactly correct, might be some confusion. We have a new heat exchanger coming out with dual fans that is massive. It's 3" x 18" x 24". It also fits in our brackets so a customer can install without doing anything extra. Plug and play wiring for the fans, all the fittings/hoses to work. No need to fab brackets, weld, cut, trim.....

Yep, my bad. Got any pictures of this new heat exchanger with fans ? that is a nice large unit. Afco sized there.

I'm making up a 2.5" X 7" X 24" double pass with twin shrouded 7" fans. Total cost with wiring and relays $250.

As for pumps, the standard Bosch does very well with the smaller HE systems that are "standard"l. 20gpm is a bit too much from our testing on many of the Ford Cobra Jet's. The best IC pump for big HE and reservoir systems is the Ford GT IC pump which is betweeen 10-15gpm. This is very quiet and reliable and doesn't vibrate as much.

Have a part number for the Ford GT pump ???
Did some googling and couldnt find anything other than the standard Bosch GT500 pumps. I have no problem returning the Meziere pump if there is a quieter alternative that pumps just as much.

Did a little more searching and someone ran the number through the system ...... $360-470 plus shipping .... I'll stick with the Meziere.

also, a little confused on how you could have too much circulation though an intercooler system ? Maximizing flow should just maximize IC/HE efficiency in my mind, especially when you are dealing with heat soak on a daily driver thats been sitting in traffic on a 100* day.

Also what is Whipple's stance on water injection pre-blower ? Kenne Bell frowns on it, but I have seen many reports on the internet of positive results for controlling heat soak and intake temps when done properly.

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can over circulate a cooling system by not giving the coolant enough time to cool down in the heat exchanger.

I have had cars that if you remove the thermostat it would over heat right away.
I really do not what to start an aurgument here, but this is something that has to be tested first.
Instead of just saying bigger is always better, sometimes that does not work in real world.