What else are they going to try and sell me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

HoldenTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about the extended warranty? What is the history of these trucks with warranty isssues? With all the electronics on new vehicles I"ve purchesed the extended protection plan. I don't know the cost on a Raptor or if it's worth it.

Good question....one thing I don't get with the extended warranty is why would I buy it when the truck is new and the first three years are already covered 100%? Wouldn't it be better to buy it after year 3?

And for those of you who do get it...what prices are you being offered?

mouldman1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While most of the extras the dealers sell are ********, the one I ALWAYS go for is the Wheel and Tire Insurance when you get low profile tires (not my raptor). Bought it for my escalade esv with the 22" rims, if you blow a tire, which is not hard to do its covered...the insurance runs around $700, and a tire is around $350, do it twice and your even, anymore and you are ahead. Also got it on my 328i with the "sport wheels, and run flat tires, I hit a bump and cracked 3 of the rims....cost was $3,500 which I paid nothing out of pocket.
Interesting thing about these insurance policys is that they are sold through outside venders and not from the manufacturer. You pay the dealer then you get reimbursed from the insurance company. So since the dealer dosent have to may a warrantee claim its in their best interest to say whatever needs to get the rim or tire replaced.

RaptorWifey

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
FRF Lady
Reaction score
Most people don't know that all the Warranty stuff is negotiable. Can't speak for other states,. But PA has a 100%mark up limit. So if they tell you the price is 1000, their cost is 500...be reasonable about it, the finance manager needs to make money too, but you can easily get that shit for 600. Same with the interest rate, they judge your sucker level and adjust it accordingly. I sold alot of theft protection and warranties in my day.

Joe and I didn't even get offered the warranty, I think they were happy to get rid of us.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most people don't know that all the Warranty stuff is negotiable. Can't speak for other states,. But PA has a 100%mark up limit. So if they tell you the price is 1000, their cost is 500...be reasonable about it, the finance manager needs to make money too, but you can easily get that shit for 600. Same with the interest rate, they judge your sucker level and adjust it accordingly. I sold alot of theft protection and warranties in my day.

Joe and I didn't even get offered the warranty, I think they were happy to get rid of us.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

I can believe that...

Hennyhen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it is all on the dealership. I received my raptor on the 17th of December. I ordered it about 2 months before I picked it up. The dealership did not try to sell any extras. It was the best car buying experience I have ever had with a dealership.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good question....one thing I don't get with the extended warranty is why would I buy it when the truck is new and the first three years are already covered 100%? Wouldn't it be better to buy it after year 3?

Yes, it is true that you can purchase the extended warranty up to the expiration of the original warranty. However, the longer you wait and the older the vehicle is, the more they charge you. If you plan on buying the extended warranty, you are better off negotiated it at the time of purchase. Also, pay in cash if you can, it doesn't make sense to finance a $ 1,500 purchase over 4 years. Just my 2 cents.

Big Brother

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Look for aftermarket extended warranty's. I found a 100k warranty through my local credit union (same coverage as Fords) for half the price the dealer wanted.

OP
OP
H

HoldenTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look for aftermarket extended warranty's. I found a 100k warranty through my local credit union (same coverage as Fords) for half the price the dealer wanted.

I've never had an extended warranty for a vehicle, but if I did I'd prefer to have one that is like the regular warranty that let's me drop off the truck at the dealer - have them fix it - and me leave. No more paperwork, filing claims or following up with anyone about anything.

So if the one from the dealer lets me do that then that is valuable to me, versus one from another place where now I have to argue about what was really covered etc.

But, like I said - I've never had one before so maybe they are all equally as good/bad in that regard?