GEN 2 What do I need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swedensky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off I’m new to the forum here, but not new to forums in general. I have searched but looking for clarity, explanation and suggestions.
I’m also brand new to modding trucks. I’ve had 4 F150s but always just left them stock other than a leveling kit and 33s just for a clean look.
This is my first raptor (one week in) and I’m ordering all my beginning mods.

On to the question:

My dealership has a modified Raptor for sale; I love the appearance, I have been wanting something more aggressive, I have a problem with dumping money into my vehicles.
The truck has 17” wheels, 37s (Nitto grapplers), and a Ready Lift (2.5”?) kit.
I’d like to do the same thing to my truck HOWEVER upon searching it looks like the Ready Lift kit is frowned upon here.

I’m fine NOT using that kit, but wondering what I would need to use instead for the 37s.
Why is it frowned upon? Because there is a better solution/company? Or because purists would tell you to leave it stock and go to Raptor Assault to learn how capable it is?

Just hoping for some clarification, hope someone can chime in.

Thanks for having me!

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My most common question....how do you plan on using your Raptor?...If it's daily driver and trips to the mall, then a basic lift kit would serve you fine...but it does take away what the truck was designed to do...
If you want to use it off road then think "performance suspension" and not lift kit. The Raptor is sensitive to going to 37" tires with the wrong off-set wheels...because those bigger tires will rub when you use all the suspension...Other guys might know of a wheel that the 37's won't rub...I think ICON makes a wheel very close to that..

OP
OP
swedensky

swedensky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My most common question....how do you plan on using your Raptor?...If it's daily driver and trips to the mall, then a basic lift kit would serve you fine...but it does take away what the truck was designed to do...
If you want to use it off road then think "performance suspension" and not lift kit. The Raptor is sensitive to going to 37" tires with the wrong off-set wheels...because those bigger tires will rub when you use all the suspension...Other guys might know of a wheel that the 37's won't rub...I think ICON makes a wheel very close to that..

Primarily commuting, with as much “off-road” use I can make time for.
I work 50-60+ hours a week so with my one or two days off that I might get, I’d like to try something new off-road. That being said, I went to a trail about an hour away and it seemed like I could have done the whole thing in my 18 Lariat.

I don’t know how much there is around me that i couldn’t do in a normal truck unless it’s the rubicon or something I would need a full build for.

I go to Tahoe (snow) fairly often in the winter and the truck stock would be fine for that too.

I will be doing 17” Method 312 wheels.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's always a shame and a bit funny that you are paying way way up for a finely tuned suspension then dig into it and mod it like it's a backyard project. Just buy a used F150 and call it a day. Messing with the perfect suspension of the Raptor is a bit silly. Plenty of other mods that make sense could be considered such as performance mods, stereo upgrade, lights, etc. Messing with the suspension that you paid up for to begin with doesn't make much sense.

MEATSWORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ready lift spacers bend with offroad use I saw a thread about it somewhere, plus at full droop it will over extend the cv joints and can cause a failure.

The collars (rpg and the like) will lift up the front with out over extending the CV joints.

I did the collars for my pavement princess:cheers:

0-60 freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's always a shame and a bit funny that you are paying way way up for a finely tuned suspension then dig into it and mod it like it's a backyard project. Just buy a used F150 and call it a day. Messing with the perfect suspension of the Raptor is a bit silly. Plenty of other mods that make sense could be considered such as performance mods, stereo upgrade, lights, etc. Messing with the suspension that you paid up for to begin with doesn't make much sense.
Depends what you consider perfect, don't fault somebody for what they consider suspension improvements, I personally don't like to sway and dip when I'm driving around the city,

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BIG TIME BALLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends what you consider perfect, don't fault somebody for what they consider suspension improvements, I personally don't like to sway and dip when I'm driving around the city,

But his point about paying up for the factory designed suspension is valid.

If you want a lift kit and big wheels, just get a regular F150 to modify. The $20k premium for the Raptor is for the suspension.

0-60 freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But his point about paying up for the factory designed suspension is valid.

If you want a lift kit and big wheels, just get a regular F150 to modify. The $20k premium for the Raptor is for the suspension.
A portion of the 20 grand premium is the suspension, but it's also the drivetrain and also the body which is completely different, so I disagree, life is short do what you want you can't appease the masses

BIG TIME BALLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A portion of the 20 grand premium is the suspension, but it's also the drivetrain and also the body which is completely different, so I disagree, life is short do what you want you can't appease the masses

Of course anyone can do what they want... but that doesn’t make it a good decision.

Modifying a Raptor is like modifying a GT500.

1) It isn't necessary. Not many people will push the Raptor beyond its limits from the factory.

2) Ford engineers have researched designed and tested far beyond any aftermarket part(s) manufacturer, or backyard mechanic.

3) You paid up for the Raptor, it costs you more money to modify it and at the same time devalues your vehicle (a triple negative).