GEN 2 About to do a shock swap, 1/4" strut spacer okay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deadserial

Reaction score
I bought a set of replacement shocks for my 2018 w/ 52k miles. I don't think the stance of my truck is that bad, but thought an extra half inch in the front would look good while not being too hard on the stock components. Would throwing a 1/4" poly strut tophat spacer be okay to throw in there while I have it all apart? I know big spacers are no nos, and i don't want a full leveling kit... I just thought for the $20 it wouldn't be a bad to get a little more lift in the front.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t feel like my post was quite that comical, but alright. Do you I guess.
several threads regarding the front suspension. multiple manufacturers make parts to accomplish this, but also provide performance enhancements. using the search will prevent future weird random posts about your topic from smart ass members (myself included)

and speaking of which, wheres the bingo card?

OP
OP
D

deadserial

Reaction score
several threads regarding the front suspension. multiple manufacturers make parts to accomplish this, but also provide performance enhancements. using the search will prevent future weird random posts about your topic from smart ass members (myself included)

and speaking of which, wheres the bingo card?
I did search, many times in fact. Nothing came up that was specific to my question. I tried to include information in my post that showed I did my research, such as I know big spacers are no nos. I used the search function when deciding if I should buy new shocks or get rebuilds, what wheel fitment on wanted, what to look out for when buying a a gen 2, etc. Maybe I missed it, but I couldn’t find it. Then again, no matter what you post you’ll always get a “use the search function” guy replying it seems

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
I bought a set of replacement shocks for my 2018 w/ 52k miles. I don't think the stance of my truck is that bad, but thought an extra half inch in the front would look good while not being too hard on the stock components. Would throwing a 1/4" poly strut tophat spacer be okay to throw in there while I have it all apart? I know big spacers are no nos, and i don't want a full leveling kit... I just thought for the $20 it wouldn't be a bad to get a little more lift in the front.
I don't even own a 2nd gen and i know this answer.

Get RPG collars for the leveling issue.

also,

200.gif
Dont take it too seriously. Its a fun place.

OP
OP
D

deadserial

Reaction score
I don't even own a 2nd gen and i know this answer.

Get RPG collars for the leveling issue.

also,

View attachment 444138
Dont take it too seriously. Its a fun place.
That's just not what I'm wanting, or asking though. If I wanted more lift or to increase preload I would take that route. I just want to know if a very small spacer on top of the strut is fine. I prefer the slight raked look, and I feel like "level" trucks look nose high while driving typically. I'm not taking myself too seriously, just looking for a specific answer before i take apart the suspension this weekend.

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
That's just not what I'm wanting, or asking though. If I wanted more lift or to increase preload I would take that route. I just want to know if a very small spacer on top of the strut is fine. I prefer the slight raked look, and I feel like "level" trucks look nose high while driving typically. I'm not taking myself too seriously, just looking for a specific answer before i take apart the suspension this weekend.
From linked thread. No issue with spacers but there are way better alternatives (and almost no one here runs them, RPG collars are the majority). Buy once cry once.

Top Hats
For those who intended on driving their raptors with OEM coil-overs to the limits or who participate in off-road events, we recommend the SDI top hat lift/reinforcement. The oem shock top hat has been a known weak point, causing shock failures on over a dozen trucks down in Baja and similar environments. This complete top hat replacement for the gen 2 & 3 Raptor kills two birds with one stone. Providing 1.5-1.75” of height over a stock Raptor while eliminating the shocks weak point with its heavy duty billet construction, and improved rigidity. SDI designed this to be their preferred way to level when paired with their eClik system. This is an extremely safe and robust option that not only makes your truck look and ride better, but will give you the piece of mind of you won’t be left stranded on the trail.