VCT Cam phaser / powertrain engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2018raptorvct

Reaction score
Have the same problem! 2018 Raptor 11k and june 28 strangely same time. My check engine light came on and took it dealer since than still there and all I know is VCT solenoid replacement.. hope my engine still good! Does anyone can help me to find turbo pressure and engine values to compare after they replace it? Or any suggestions , i really want to be sure engine is fine. Thank you!

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The symptom of the cam phaser problem (seemingly caused by lack of oil to cams) is a loud noise for 2-3 seconds on startup. Sounds like a clicking/thrashing/chattering.

I've seen 4 trucks in the shop for multiple weeks to get a fix - that said, the most recent victim checked with Ford parts and has heard a new cam sprocket is being released at the end of July to fix this issue. I'm pretty sure I have been getting the noise on occasion, and I've seen a few more stating the same thing.

Now, whether or not it will lead to longterm problems, I don't know. My plan is to capture some video evidence, and discuss it with my service manager. Both of us are loathe to tear into the engine unless absolutely necessary, but I do want to cover my back in case it fails catastrophically after warranty ends.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The symptom of the cam phaser problem (seemingly caused by lack of oil to cams) is a loud noise for 2-3 seconds on startup. Sounds like a clicking/thrashing/chattering.

I’m not doing a thing until they update the VCTs.

FINRPTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your oil level. I experienced a lack of power, c/e light. After looking up the codes, it was suggested that low oil coul cause the problem. It was low. After adding, then changing oil to full synthetic, no issues. I am now monitoring oil usage. I’ll let you know what I find.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your oil level. I experienced a lack of power, c/e light. After looking up the codes, it was suggested that low oil coul cause the problem. It was low. After adding, then changing oil to full synthetic, no issues. I am now monitoring oil usage. I’ll let you know what I find.

Except the oil would be in the pan after a long sit, negating the cold startup rattle theory of low oil level. The newer oil may have more viscosity, I would be curious to see how your truck sounds after sitting a day or two.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at Raptors enigines online and they went from a number ending in -A to a -B, I think the crossover was Feb 2018. I haven’t been able to chase down individual part numbers between the A and B, guessing it’s all on the front end.

KAJRIP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '17 has been at the dealer for the exact same noise as OPT PRIME for the last 2 weeks.

They are replacing cam phasers, chains, tensioners and guides. Only problem is they can't get parts because they are on national back order through Ford.
They can't even give me an expected ETA.

At least they gave me a new Fusion as a loaner. Lucky me.

Last edited:

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was looking at Raptors enigines online and they went from a number ending in -A to a -B, I think the crossover was Feb 2018. I haven’t been able to chase down individual part numbers between the A and B, guessing it’s all on the front end.

Are you suggesting the 2018s built after Feb 2018 already have the fix due to an updated engine? Fingers-crossed!

cdodgela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '18 with 22k miles was just diagnosed needing new cam phasers. Backorder is a month. I hope there is an improved version so this doesn't happen again. My sync 3 was messing up too, needing a module replaced.