VCT Cam phaser / powertrain engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you suggesting the 2018s built after Feb 2018 already have the fix due to an updated engine? Fingers-crossed!

I have no idea. The fact there is a backlog and the later version of the engine is in production leads me to believe this is the case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone considered oil fouling to be a suspect issue with this problem. I am thinking when I drain my catch can there always seems to be oily fluid being vented off the covers. If I didn't have the catch cans this would be making it's way back into the lubrication system eventually. This could cause issues with engine lubrication and failures. After we reworked the engine in mine we found a few issues with the lubrication system on these motors that we fixed.

FullAuto

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can post some links to my You Tube videos to show you both Cam Phaser noises. They were replaced in my 17 and 18. My 18 still rattles like crazy. After two visits to the shop for my 18, both of which latest 30 days each, Ford engineer came out and said my rattle was normal. They replaced the phasers and timing chain on the first visit snd the VCT solenoids on the 2nd. But its not normal. I gave up on trying to have it fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to hear/see them. I think I'm going through it on my truck currently.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, lots of us have the Cam Phaser Rattle on cold start and the Sync lockup issues. I have not taken my 17 SCREW 802A in for the Cam Phaser issue yet. I thought my Sync issues were fixed when dealer updated it to Sync 3 Vesion 3.0 last fall. But it started acting up again a few days ago. Slow response, Bluetooth connection drop, no Night Mode Display (new issue) and Nav Screen blank with the spinning circle (new issue) forever. Shutting off Auto Update returned everything to normal but I dont know if that fixed it? Too much computerization!

RipReturns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Supposed to be a loud distinct rattle on start up, usually when cold. You can hear it from the top of the engine. From what I read it's a result of the VCT no getting enough oil initially.
Looks like I'm joining the cam-phaser crowd. Just got word that the sound that would intermittently appear during first (cold) start of the day was the cam phaser. The start up noise - approximately 9 times in 18 months - sounded (IMHO) like a loud, plastic 'clacking' noise (accompanied by delay in engine start). The sound was slower than I would associate with start up, but it only occurred on start up. You know it when you hear it - it's not right. Since I couldn't reproduce, I kept detailed log of when it occurred (always during first start of day).

FullAuto

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks like I'm joining the cam-phaser crowd. Just got word that the sound that would intermittently appear during first (cold) start of the day was the cam phaser. The start up noise - approximately 9 times in 18 months - sounded (IMHO) like a loud, plastic 'clacking' noise (accompanied by delay in engine start). The sound was slower than I would associate with start up, but it only occurred on start up. You know it when you hear it - it's not right. Since I couldn't reproduce, I kept detailed log of when it occurred (always during first start of day).

Sorry to hear. Take dated videos to document it and keep bringing it in. Hopefully they eventually get it sorted out. Make sure you vote in the poll on here.

Last edited:

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score

when I had this problem I recorded it with my phone as a record. the dealer wasn't able to replicate the issue over the week they had the truck, but once I played them the video they agreed it was cam phasers and fixed my truck.

RipReturns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I wasn't able to predict when it would occur, I never recorded. But I called and/or e-mailed my service technician each time it happened and then compiled a summary of occurrences and presented it to the service tech.