GEN 2 CAM phasers but only one side?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am going to kindly disagree and say that any phaser with spring that is external should be replaced.
The internal design of the HL3Z-CD and MK3Z-A is the same; the TSB actually calls for HL3Z. ML3Z is optional if HL3Z is on backorder. If the truck was built with CC or earlier, then in that case yes - they should all be replaced regardless.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Your truck was already built with the updated parts and calibration. The ones they replaced look different because the supplier changed; the internal design is the same.

I am going to kindly disagree and say that any phaser with spring that is external should be replaced.

Those parts are noticeably different. My first thought on this picture is, what’s the weight difference between those parts?
I’d balk at the partial repair too - I understand they’re “functionally equivalent” but they’re definitely not exactly equal, or equal.

I also wouldn’t bark loudly about “hey, we’ll do the other side for 3 & change".

Last edited:

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will just say this, after 35 years I have learned, if the HL3Z-CD was the fix THEN ML3Z would NOT exist.

Wouldn't be the first time a TSB cleared out old stock before using new stock.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
The internal design of the HL3Z-CD and MK3Z-A is the same; the TSB actually calls for HL3Z. ML3Z is optional if HL3Z is on backorder. If the truck was built with CC or earlier, then in that case yes - they should all be replaced regardless.
What exactly is CC or ealier referring to?

Phaser suffix part number?