VCT Cam phaser / powertrain engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andy44

Reaction score
Has anyone had a VCT cam phaser proble
W/ their gen 2 Raptor? The dealership I purchased it from kept it for 4 weeks fixing and installing a new VCT cam phaser. I got it back and it drove okay for 2 months. NOW, it drives horrible and the power train light came on, aside from that my stereo keeps freezing and the Bluetooth keeps on disconnecting (I already updated the system). I’m just curious to know if there are more people w/ this engine/ powertrain problem?

Thanks everyone!

Jspeers89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just took mine in for the same thing. Been there a week. Parts are on order. I'll be keeping a close eye on mine once I get it back.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What are the symptoms of this cam phaser issue? THere's been a couple times while my truck was idling where there was a very loud clicking, sounded like a diesel. It wasn't the direct injection click either, I'm very familiar with that sound. It only happened a couple times and both when the truck was not up to operating temperature. I haven't heard that noise in quite some time though so hopefully it was just some break-in blues.

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Supposed to be a loud distinct rattle on start up, usually when cold. You can hear it from the top of the engine. From what I read it's a result of the VCT no getting enough oil initially.

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can post some links to my You Tube videos to show you both Cam Phaser noises. They were replaced in my 17 and 18. My 18 still rattles like crazy. After two visits to the shop for my 18, both of which latest 30 days each, Ford engineer came out and said my rattle was normal. They replaced the phasers and timing chain on the first visit snd the VCT solenoids on the 2nd. But its not normal. I gave up on trying to have it fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk