Tundra owner to Raptor???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geauxfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy all...
New member thinkin of switchin to a Raptor after having my 2008 Tundra 4x4 Crew for the last 3 years. I've enjoyed my Tundra, no problems at all, but very plain jane, no extras! It has the 5.7 engine and Volant CAI, and I get around 13.5 to 14.5 mpg, mainly city. Can get between 15-17 mpg on highway at 75 mph. I expect the 6.2 Raptor to be about the same, maybe a mile or two less per gallon. I pull a 21' Ranger bass boat around and didn't know how well the Raptor will pull 5000 lbs. Any comments or recommendations on the Raptor? I can truly say that from what I've seen on this forum, y'all certainly love em and y'all have very nice looking as well, especially the Raptors with mods.
We don't have deserts here in Louisiana, but we definitely have alot of mud to play in...

Last edited:

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
You will enjoy it 3X over the toyota. Now ya will or may get the occasional Ford boboo and need some warranty now and then which I am sure you never had with the Toyota but its worth it. My list for the dealer is a simple one after 16 months and 20K. Drivers seat heat element bad, Mirror / rear window defog no workie, slight coolant leak found today at hose and intake neck. Intermittent drivers door window switches although this has not been an issue since beating the truck to death at the Raptor run a few weeks back. That kinda little BS that you never see in Toyota.
You will get less milage in the Raptor. I am easy 90% of the time in town. 12-13 mpg. On the hyway at 70 I get the same. Now ya drive 60 mph and you will get 14 plus. Draft a travel trailer or semi and get 22 mpg. HAhahaa. Get one, you will not regret it...... Oh and many Ford dealers service deptments suck. Not all but many.

Oh and WELCOME FROM TEXAS..........

BDRAG

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
Get it, this truck is an absolute blast. There is no desert where I am but its still so much fun. Easily one of the most comfortable trucks to drive around in. There are very few things that have had trouble, but its all covered under warranty. What do you expect from a first of its kind truck?

Badgerscab6.2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^What they all said, and as for your boat pulling. Yes 5k pounds is fine, I pulled my Baja Hammer (5.5k-6k) a few times before I sold it and it pulled fine in the tow/haul mode. only get about 9-10 mpgs, but thats expected

claustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heya. I actually bought a Raptor today (and just joined. Will do an intro post in a minute). For the last year I have been driving a 2011 Tundra Crew Rock Warrior with an HD package from Toyota that consisted of an anti-sway bar and extra leaf springs all around, as well as some fender flares. Only thing it didn't have was the navigation. I love that truck and never had a problem with it, but when I got an opportunity to buy a Raptor I jumped on it. As much as I loved my Tundra, the Raptor blows it away. It rides smoother, has noticeably more power, and is more comfortable seats. One thing I was worried about was the rear seat space in the crew, but it's just as spacious as the Tundra. If I'm not mistaken the Raptor is rated higher than the Tundra for towing, so you should be fine. You just accept the slightly worse mileage for the power of the 6.2. Toyota makes a good pickup, but nothing compares to a Raptor.

WOZMAN

Reaction score
Personally I believe it's all about personality. I had a black 2007 Toyota Tundra Crewmax Limited with all the bells and whistles for four years. Never had any issues with the truck except for a finicky front sonar sensor and that silly gas pedal recall that every Toyota owner was required to do. I just fueled it up and changed the fluids when necessary. I too had a CAI and also added HID lights, bed cover, TRD sport pedals and shifter and a billet grill just to add some "flair" to the truck. But ultimately it was like Geauxfish stated - plain jane:
IMG_2384.jpg

Now as much as I loved that truck my 2011 molten orange SCREW Raptor is a completely different animal. It's noticeably wider (although you get used to it) and you have to also get used to the softer suspension and significant body roll when taking corners at speed. The Toyota had a much firmer and more comfortable highway ride and definitely had some decent get up and go with the 5.7 compared to the Raptor - but I really don't miss that.

What I personally like about owning the Raptor is the little kids on their bicycles giving you a thumbs up as you drive by. Or the minivan owner at the lights smiling at you and stating "nice truck!". You NEVER get that in a Toyota Tundra (or at least I never did). I don't think a month goes by that you don't get a positive comment or two about owning a Raptor. Plus you feel much more confident when the weather takes a turn for the worse. This last winter I had quite a few Raptor "snow days" when a foot or more of snow has your whole community trying to dig their way out of snow banks or snow-plowed in streets. With a few button presses and a transfer case knob turn you unleash the Raptor's true inner beast and nothing stands between you and where you want to go. Not to mention that you will have a smile on your face the whole time as you navigate around spinning Toyota Priuses and other environmentally sensitive vehicles as they white knuckle their steering wheels as they try valiantly to dig through the snow.

Now for the not so great news <deep sigh> ... the Raptor is like a lot of North American vehicles I have owned in the past. I have already had noise issues with the front suspension (which the dealership fixed) as well as had bolts loose and even one missing in the passenger side power window door assembly (also fixed under warranty). Am I surprised? Unfortunately no. Do I expect more little deficiencies to present themselves over the next year or so? Yes. Would this keep me from recommending a Raptor to a future potential owner? Absolutely not!

As for the fuel mileage? You will get a few miles per gallon less with your Raptor - I will be honest with you about that. But the gas tank is bigger to compensate so you will get more miles per tank than your Tundra did - you will just have to pay more $$$ to fill said tank. :emotions36:

Anyhow I have rambled on more than enough. Raptors are definitely a love 'em or not kind of truck. I love mine so I have a biased opinion but I also realize that I have to be realistic and as I abuse my Raptor more than I would a "normal" truck it's going to burn more gas and potentially cost me some repairs or replacement of parts with beefier components - but that's all part of owning one. No different than owning a high-powered sports car or off-road playtoy.

Good luck with your decision. No one can tell you what to do but yourself!
ParkingLot.jpg