Trans slow warm-up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Out of Line

Reaction score
Just picked up a 2017 Avalanche grey last weekend with 41k miles.

My question is it normal for the trans to take over 45+ min. to warm up on the gauge? This is what I'm experiencing so far from a 2hr trip this week. Today I went on a 15 min drive and the gauge never moved, I would think it would at least be close to the halfway point after at least 15 min. Temp outside this week has been 50ish.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the trans takes longer than the engine but it shouldn't take that long. Maybe a sensor is bunk or something?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Since you bought it used, have you verified that the transmission warmer hasn't been modified or bypassed?

Steve1001

Reaction score
Since you bought it used, have you verified that the transmission warmer hasn't been modified or bypassed?
Ive noticed on the cold mornings with the truck being outside now that the transmission will slip a bit and shift harder unless the truck is allowed to warm up a bit first before driving,,,,

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I suppose that does make sense, and confess it never occurred to me we would have a ‘warmer’ for the transmission. That said, reading your multiple explanations of the cold transmission ‘strategy’(?) I can definitely appreciate the tech and implementation.

mashtastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s a valve on the side of the 6R & 10Rs that let the fluid flow thru the cooler at 210 degrees +/- 5. Being used, the prior owner could have put a bypass on it the flow all the time. Or like said above, could be a bad trans temp sensor bad cooler valve. Warmer? The fluid friction inside the trans and heat radiating from the left side exhaust pipe would make it “warmer”.

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. The 10R is able to achieve shift speeds that match or exceed a DCT due to the solenoid design and fluid viscosity. Hence the fluid warmer/cooler unit and the auxiliary cooler for towing, etc.
LOL, sometimes when you post and I’m reading your explanation, and in my head I hear the “Peanut’s” teacher going “wah wah whon waun warrgh wun” as I didn’t understand anything you said. Your knowledge blows my mind.