Sudden loss of power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

offcamber

Reaction score
I left the house today and pulled off of my street and noticing the car back behind me was going faster than expected, I floored it. At about 45-50 the truck suddenly seemed to lose power for a second then immediately picked back up normally. That's at least the second time it has done that since I got my 22 in may. I bought the Cobb redline scoop last week but hadn't installed it yet. Would the scoop collapsing do that? I have noticed that when its over 100 the factory scoop is almost like a thin plastic bag...I actually went out in the middle of this post and put the Cobb scoop on. Strangely enough I noticed a strong odor of diff gear oil under the hood. I climbed under the truck and do not see any leaks near the front axle shafts/diff...is gear oil used somewhere else?

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did it look like the scoop was collapsing? It should be pretty obvious with the center plastic pieces bent and the fasteners loose.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Were you in normal or sport setting? It takes a second or two for the turbos to spool up. That's why most run in sport 99% of the time. Keeps the rpm in the power range.

OP
OP
O

offcamber

Reaction score
Did it look like the scoop was collapsing? It should be pretty obvious with the center plastic pieces bent and the fasteners loose.
It looked fine when I looked at it today. The videos Cobb shows though show it temporarily squeezing off and returning to normal when not under load...

OP
OP
O

offcamber

Reaction score
Were you in normal or sport setting? It takes a second or two for the turbos to spool up. That's why most run in sport 99% of the time. Keeps the rpm in the power range.
Sport. It pulled hard to 45 then it was like it lost all power for just a sec, then right back to pulling hard.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Look for loose boost tubes. Could be the scoop. You said that you installed the brace during your first post. I would check the boost tubes, retest and see if it happens again.

Goosetuned or Cobb off the shelf tune? Shouldn't have an issue with Goose. Off the self tunes are not always set right based on your location. Seeing as they are not custom.

8250_RPM

Reaction score
I’ve had a similar experience after startup and pulling out into traffic. I floored it as soon as I completed the turn and I noticed a very brief ‘cut’ in power. This has happened twice over the last few months. I drive primarily in Sport mode. My driving style hasn’t changed and otherwise feels okay. I do notice that there is slight hesitation when throttle is held steadily or slightly increased. I’ve read here about others experiencing the same so I chalked it up to that. I’m curious now if there might be something loose…

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
My '22 has done this once, granted I don't floor it often. It feels exactly like if you are in manual mode and it hits the redline and derates the engine. I assume that is what is happening. Not sure why it's doing it in auto mode though.

I put an extra push pin in the intake flap that was starting to deform, so it's not that. In my case anyway.

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looked fine when I looked at it today. The videos Cobb shows though show it temporarily squeezing off and returning to normal when not under load...
If you look at the two thin supports in the middle of the scoop, you can tell it has collapsed if they have a bend in the middle. Once they bend they never go back to fully straight. IMG_3266.jpeg

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you guys are experiencing the stability control cutting power because you’re still turning with lateral accelerations when you poke it. The steering wheel has a sensor for displacement as well.

If there is a problem causing the throttle cut, then it will set a code and the dash light. If it doesn’t indicate a fault, then the truck is trying to save you from yourself.