Trading Raptor for ....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I had a ‘12 GEN1 and got 200k with no real issues (sold it outright for $24k). I do a lot of off-road driving and I am just not happy with my GEN2, built 12/08/17. I feel its a cream puff compared to the GEN1. The bent axle on the GEN2 was my fault but I beat on the GEN1 much harder and it would suck it up and ask for more.

I’ve had the IWE that the dealer could not replicate so I swapped out the $5 check valve myself. There’s a vibration in the drivers side dash at highway speeds since 5k that no one knows what is the cause. The transmission has been flashed twice but it’s back with the 5-6 hard shift and now has a low pitched whirl when off the throttle in 7th. Cam phasers are rattling when it sits for a couple of days and needs the TSB. Exhaust has a bad rattle in park, glovebox opener broke, moonroof leaked, alloy rim broke when I put it in the ditch at 10 mph (bent the rear passenger axle)during Elk season, the rear sits 1.5 inches lower on one side and is squeaking like a buckboard wagon. I also have a metal oil pan sitting in the garage waiting for the plastic one to crap out.

I hope the GEN3 goes back to it’s Baja roots and I will buy one if that’s the case. I am seriously considering trading for a Tremor with a 7.3 this summer and just waiting to see what happens to the next Raptor in a couple of years. I always have my wife’s chick car, Toyota 4Runner with Icon Stage 3 and 33” Trail Grapplers.

I know my issues are not that major in the big picture but I used to tell everyone I bought the GEN1 because I knew it could handle more than I could ever throw at it. The GEN2 is just too delicate, I think Tincup Pass (moderate difficulty) was probably my last real off road drive as I have lost confidence in it.

I have to say that I'm really impressed with my superduty now that it has a carli pintop kit with full leafs on it. It handles most of the stuff that a stock raptor can, with the same relative comfort. The caveat is, I would not launch the SD like i would a raptor.

Im told that the new swaybar that carli just released makes it even better. I'm hassling the ups dude daily while waiting for mine.

Uncas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That really bites. My findings are almost the exact opposite. My 14 Gen 1, while it did well was not on the same plane as my 18. I guess I just got a good one.

Sam
There was nowhere I would not take my GEN 1 when we lived in Utah. Burr Trail, Hole in the Rock, White Rim. Left Hand Fork south of Logan was pretty sketch (too narrow). We even found a trail from Flagg Ranch into Idaho that ran between Yellowstone and Tetons.
We’ve taken the GEN2 on the east side of Rollins and Tincup Pass and a few other trails since we got to CO but I am concerned about taking it this summer up Engineer or Imogene Pass. Going solo, I just am not confident in this one. Most trails in CO are more Jeep oriented. I think the Tremor with a truck camper and a CanAm Maverick X3 might be a better choice. If I want to do a day trip from the Springs, I can always take the 4runner.

One thing that was great was having all the Jeep guys say how cool it was seeing a Raptor take on Tincup.