Trading Raptor for ....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1badjk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it breaks my heart to say it but I am trading the raptor in for a Ram Rebel. The raptor was my dream truck and when I finally got one 2 years ago I was so excited but over the past 40k miles I have had constant transmission issues that has required taking it to the dealer for work time after time. Every time I take it they say they have it fixed but it never truly gets fixed. I know all trucks are gonna have faults but the thought of having to come out of pocket for a transmission once the warranty is up isn’t worth it.

I don’t ever go off-road, I just like the look and stance of an off-road truck. I also like the idea of being able to tow more with the Rebel. Hopefully I won’t have constant mechanical issues like I did with the raptor.

SoxFan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I traded in a Ram Rebel for the Raptor and while the Rebel was a solid truck it lacked the excitement and fun the Raptor brings to the table. I never had any issues with the Rebel, but would not go back to one after owning the Raptor. Hope you find what your looking for but I know you will miss the Raptor!!

Gcode450

Reaction score
I traded in a Ram Rebel for the Raptor and while the Rebel was a solid truck it lacked the excitement and fun the Raptor brings to the table. I never had any issues with the Rebel, but would not go back to one after owning the Raptor. Hope you find what your looking for but I know you will miss the Raptor!!

Ditto! Traded my Ram Rebel for my Raptor. Never looked back.... as they fade in my rearview mirror.

Good luck with your new truck!

lka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it breaks my heart to say it but I am trading the raptor in for a Ram Rebel. The raptor was my dream truck and when I finally got one 2 years ago I was so excited but over the past 40k miles I have had constant transmission issues that has required taking it to the dealer for work time after time. Every time I take it they say they have it fixed but it never truly gets fixed. I know all trucks are gonna have faults but the thought of having to come out of pocket for a transmission once the warranty is up isn’t worth it.

I don’t ever go off-road, I just like the look and stance of an off-road truck. I also like the idea of being able to tow more with the Rebel. Hopefully I won’t have constant mechanical issues like I did with the raptor.
0961e0327710f421cfd25d8b52dbeb9e.gif

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree, the Rebel with the Hemi is a very nice driving truck and has a super nice interior with the upgrade 12 package. Do yourself a favor and look at the consumer reviews on Edmund's. https://www.edmunds.com/ram/1500/2019/

Look at owners reviews on https://5thgenrams.com/community/

The 5th gen Rams are a nightmare, for build quality, repairs, and reliability. Look at the poll numbers from the 5th Gen Ram site, 50% have NOT had problems.

How’s your 2019 Ram running? Take our poll!

Did any of the following systems function improperly, or require repair?
  • BODY (Paint, bumpers, frame, cab leaks, bed, tailgate, Rambox, windows, mirrors, moonroof)
    Votes: 234 16.6%
  • SUSPENSION (Air or normal susp, steering, brakes, wheels/tires)
    Votes: 189 13.4%
  • TRANSMISSION (Differential)
    Votes: 91 6.4%
  • ENGINE (Oil, coolant, fuel, exhaust systems)
    Votes: 47 3.3%
  • LIGHTING (Cabin, dash, bed, exterior lighting, headlights)
    Votes: 52 3.7%
  • ELECTRICAL (Start system, battery, alternator, eTorque BSG)
    Votes: 91 6.4%
  • CLIMATE CONTROL (Air conditioning, heating, seat heat/vent)
    Votes: 132 9.4%
  • INTERIOR FIT AND FINISH (Seats, cabin, floor, dash, noises)
    Votes: 159 11.3%
  • ELECTRONICS (UConnect, displays, nav, sound, safety systems, USB/115v plugs)
    Votes: 327 23.2%
  • NO PROBLEMS/HAPPY CAMPER
    Votes: 714 50.6%

Last edited:

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Good luck and I hope it works out for you. I too have been underwhelmed with the issues on my Raptor (2017) over the past ~3 years.

1. Oil pan leaking x 2 with replacements
2. Replaced transmission after being left stranded on the interstate twice from cracked housing where abuts the transfer case. Was on the lift at the dealership for >30 days before being allocated new transmission. New one still has aggressive 3-4-5 “slam” despite flashes, relearning, and TSB’s.
3. IWE’s x 3 with most recent being all hub assemblies replaced via TSB and starting to “rattle” again
4. Horn dead and replaced at $340
5. Cam phaser death rattle starting - being “watched” by the dealer
6. Now leaking oil from the valve cover on the passenger side - take in after Xmas
7. Driver auto locks won’t lock when pushing button - fixed x 2
8. Driver’s side heated seat intermittent functioning.

I am out of the 3 yr/36,000 bumper to bumper.

I love the truck, how it drives, and how it handles, etc. I don’t fully trust it and am afraid it’s going to leave me stranded on one of my trips in the frozen tundra where I live. Problem is, there is nothing else quite like it out there. I really hope the next generation makes a lot of improvements in reliability/cam phasers/IWE’s/improved transmission on the existing Gen 2. I am stupid enough to buy another one.

I am not holding my breath on the 3.5 EB in my Raptor to remain reliable, but I can’t really base that on anything other than the “gut feeling” I get on every start up and it sounds like the lifters are begging for oil.

Tacoma = underpowered, overpriced, technology from 1999
Tundra = see above
Dodge = The worse reliability of any of the big 3
Nissan = need to stop making a truck
Chevy/GMC = I test drove a GMC AT4 (420 hp/460 torque) and it felt almost as quick as the Raptor... almost. It sure sounded better :) The inside was meh.

This all leaves me waiting for another Raptor. I see zero benefit to switching to a 2020 as it’s the same truck I am already driving except for the shocks.

OP
OP

1badjk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck and I hope it works out for you. I too have been underwhelmed with the issues on my Raptor (2017) over the past ~3 years.

1. Oil pan leaking x 2 with replacements
2. Replaced transmission after being left stranded on the interstate twice from cracked housing where abuts the transfer case. Was on the lift at the dealership for >30 days before being allocated new transmission. New one still has aggressive 3-4-5 “slam” despite flashes, relearning, and TSB’s.
3. IWE’s x 3 with most recent being all hub assemblies replaced via TSB and starting to “rattle” again
4. Horn dead and replaced at $340
5. Cam phaser death rattle starting - being “watched” by the dealer
6. Now leaking oil from the valve cover on the passenger side - take in after Xmas
7. Driver auto locks won’t lock when pushing button - fixed x 2
8. Driver’s side heated seat intermittent functioning.

I am out of the 3 yr/36,000 bumper to bumper.

I love the truck, how it drives, and how it handles, etc. I don’t fully trust it and am afraid it’s going to leave me stranded on one of my trips in the frozen tundra where I live. Problem is, there is nothing else quite like it out there. I really hope the next generation makes a lot of improvements in reliability/cam phasers/IWE’s/improved transmission on the existing Gen 2. I am stupid enough to buy another one.

I am not holding my breath on the 3.5 EB in my Raptor to remain reliable, but I can’t really base that on anything other than the “gut feeling” I get on every start up and it sounds like the lifters are begging for oil.

Tacoma = underpowered, overpriced, technology from 1999
Tundra = see above
Dodge = The worse reliability of any of the big 3
Nissan = need to stop making a truck
Chevy/GMC = I test drove a GMC AT4 (420 hp/460 torque) and it felt almost as quick as the Raptor... almost. It sure sounded better :) The inside was meh.

This all leaves me waiting for another Raptor. I see zero benefit to switching to a 2020 as it’s the same truck I am already driving except for the shocks.

I think you make great arguments for the other brand vehicles. I might come back to a raptor down the road but with employee pricing on the Rebel I am getting it for a great price. Not to mention the really good trade appraisal the raptor is giving me.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Based on your timeline, sounds like you have an early production Gen 2 and they were known to have transmission issues. Perhaps instead of getting a Rebel you should consider trading that one in for a new one?

I have an early production Gen 2 and I’ve had exactly zero issues in almost 3 years of daily driving. Have only changed oil and then tires once at 32,000 miles.