Trading Raptor for ....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good luck. My friend has a new Ram limited its very nice in terms of luxury/ride/features.

I was a die hard GM guy & grew up w/ my dad either driving GM/Chevy or a couple Tundras along the way. All the brands have their issues, some more than others. I had great luck w/ GM vehicles til I ran into their 8 speed equipped Mexican built K2 trucks- mostly junk, but looked great & have nice V8s. Even though I think they’ve done a better job w/ this newest re-design I wanted to have an open mind & have Ford a shot. I’m very glad I did. I’m the most satisfied ever in terms of vehicle purchases....& I’ve had quite a few. Got just under a year & 18k miles into my ownership of 2018 801a screw. No problems other than condensation in a couple of cheapo exterior LEDs covered under warranty.

While nowadays I try & keep my DDs mostly stock performance-wise I couldn’t resist w/ the ttV6 platform of the Raptor & have been running a gearhead tune for a while now. Your minds made up, but if you were on a stock tune I would’ve highly recommended getting it tuned before trading b/c it’s essentially a different ballgame after that. For me- GH’s tune completely refined the driving experience by making that confused 10 speed buttery smooth & dialing in the boost earlier smoothing out the A/f ratios & increasing overall boost while massaging shift torque & TQ mgmt programming at same time = extremely satisfying driving experience. Gain some mpgs & I swear my exhaust note sounds better now too.

I don’t think you’re really tapping into the “real raptor experience” w/o a tune. If I blindfolded you & drove you in a bone stock raptor back to back w/ my tuned one you’d definitely think you’re in a different vehicle all together.

Montyf33

Reaction score
I feel ya. I've got a 2018 raptor. Don't even have 10000 miles on it. And it has absolutely lived in the shop (4 times.so far) It went in last week I'm still waiting to get it back. I'm going to think very seriously about trading it in. It's a shame because when it's working I love it!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

hj_s14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my 2019 got it brand new 3 months ago... SO FAR, it had been back in the dealer twice..
1 - Replace Valve cover due to oil consumption
2 - Leaking shock (on the valve thing)..
This is pretty ****** considered a $70K truck.. I had never had any truck or car that needs to be in the dealer fo service that early. Its disappointing.

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These problems I read about, remind me of why I trade my stuff in every 3 years/36k miles.

LeCreaux

Reaction score
I traded in a Hemi Grand Cherokee Overland for my Raptor. I really liked the Hemi and the Chrysler interior was very intuitive. Had no mechanical problems at all with it to 50K miles when I traded it in. The only issues I had was getting any kind of maintenance in San Antonio on it. All the Jeep/RAM dealerships were booked solid for months and they often had me leave it with them for weeks for even 30 minute jobs. A few times I caught them billing the warranty to Chrysler without doing the work.

I love the Raptor but like you I don't fully trust it. It's lost oil at a quart every 1000 miles since I got it. The first week it shut down on the highway for low oil. It started smoking at 10K miles and they changed the valve covers. We're monitoring it now to see if that fixed the oil-loss problem. It still smoked for a couple of thousand miles, but they said that's all the oil in the exhaust system being burned off.

It has 17K miles now and I still have to carry a bucket with oil, funnel, and towels. Not what I expected from a Raptor.