Tire Weights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How have these been working for you? I've avoided retreads after some experience with the many years ago.

Shit, just saw this. I ran them at HITH and they held up great. Right now they are off the truck for the winter. (trying to burn up a set of BFG's)

Glo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may very well be right. When I was trying to find different styles of 35/37in tires I came across the 'Baja T/A' (the 'non projects') on Tire Rack and that was the advertised weight. I just tried to verify and that tire doesn't come up anymore - they now are showing the 'project' tread pattern Baja but the advertised weights are lower than they should be.

Per Goodrich's website:

49244 35x12.50R17/C 111 T = 63.6lbs

89885 37x12.50R17/D 124 T = 76.8lbs

Raptizzle measured his Baja DOT in at 75lbs http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f25/weighing-37-grabber-red-label-v-37-bfg-baja-t-dot-14229/

Last edited:

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Don't think Kevlar does much for sharp rocks - not sure about it - just don't think Kevlar vests do much for knifes.

Then why are they on 75% of the trophy trucks out there?

They are THE tire for dirt. The problem is they are a unitasker.

I would never run a tire that weighs 20lbs more than another option. The drawbacks far outweigh the benefits.

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

Oh I have some 35" project treads at work and happen to have a big scale. I'll weigh one tomorrow.

Jarrett H

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't think Kevlar does much for sharp rocks - not sure about it - just don't think Kevlar vests do much for knifes.

Baja ta's are designed to do just that. They are probably the most robust rugged non military tire made. Take a look at one sometime....

Glo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then why are they on 75% of the trophy trucks out there?

They are THE tire for dirt. The problem is they are a unitasker.

I would never run a tire that weighs 20lbs more than another option. The drawbacks far outweigh the benefits.

Oh I have some 35" project treads at work and happen to have a big scale. I'll weigh one tomorrow.

I think you mistook my response as a put down for the Bajas - I am not - still planning on getting a set as soon as I can find some that are reasonably priced. Until you mentioned it - I hadn't registered that BFG is using Kevlar now too.

I sat at a campfire in Saline Valley with a BFG rep a few years ago that responded to Goodyears MTR with Kevlar that had just been released as " just marketing" - and it somehow stuck with me. Never saw anything about BGF using Kevlar - only saw a web snippet saying that Goodyear has Dupont Kevlar exclusivity for tires - but then that might be outdated.

As to your question on why 75% of the Trophy Truck field is running BFG - I don't have any insight on that - but I'll be happy to try...maybe because non of the other main tire brands find Trophy Truck racing important enough and Michelin is pumping all of BFG's advertising budget into a not highly contested national racing series that is closest to their core target market and heavily support the majority of racing teams?

I totally agree with you on not wanting to run a 20lbs heavier tire - I think I made my point of view clear in my previous posts...

Looking forward finding out what you projects weigh in at!

Baja ta's are designed to do just that. They are probably the most robust rugged non military tire made. Take a look at one sometime....

I have and I am continuing to look into all different tire options...certainly will get to drive some soon!

Last edited:

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
For folks looking for a lighter, comparable tire to the the Toyo MT, the Cooper Discoverer STT weighs 78lbs in 35x12.50x17 and the 37x12.50x17 weighs 84lbs.

dkfc13

HPA Systems LLC.
Reaction score
Baja T/A tire differences

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 98
  • Capture2.jpg
    Capture2.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 76