this is shady af right?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

highwhey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is why I jumped on a Scab in Albuquerque end of last month. San Tan was crazy on theirs, Peoria wanted over MSRP on a base Leadfoot, and Anderson in Kingman had a demo with method wheels I didn’t like for $2K over MSRP. I was looking for an 802A but would’ve settled for an 801A, not many Scabs left out there.
did you drive it back to az or have it shipped?

i'm open to buying out of state, but the shipping prices are absurd from what i have been qouted.

MyRaptorLife

Full Access Member
Reaction score

i'm open to buying out of state, but the shipping prices are absurd from what i have been qouted.

I got quoted 1200 from Missouri to NH....which seems pretty reasonable. Thats around 1000 miles.

Last edited:

DinduMcNugget

Full Access Member
Reaction score

i honestly think driving it back is more expensive than shipping, at least in my case it was, but it’s so much more fun and there is a certain peace of mind in not having to trust someone else with your vehicle. To ship from Texas to California I was quoted anywhere from 800-1500. I decide to drive it back 1700 miles over 3 days and with hotels, food, gas I think I ended up spending a little under $1k. Obviously this requires time but it gave me a chance to get comfortable with the size of the truck and a chance to just enjoy driving it and learning things about it that you’ll only learn driving long distances. If you can do it, drive it back, just my humble opinion.

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

For me the drive was only 320 mi, I was already in Albuquerque for work when I bought the Raptor and the dealership stored my car for two weeks until I got back there for work again. Due to transportation issues with rental car companies and Amtrak, my wife ended up having to drive me back to Albuquerque to get my car two weeks later.

OP
OP
H

highwhey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and we just started looking up states and googling Ford dealers.

I got quoted 1200 from Missouri to NH....which seems pretty reasonable. Thats around 1000 miles.
i've been getting quotes from 2 to 3k from oklahoma to phoenix. my brother works for manheim so i asked him to check in their system since they have a huge network of auto movers, this is what he was telling me. raptors carry a premium to get moved apparently bc of how wide they are.

DinduMcNugget

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've been getting quotes from 2 to 3k from oklahoma to phoenix. my brother works for manheim so i asked him to check in their system since they have a huge network of auto movers, this is what he was telling me. raptors carry a premium to get moved apparently bc of how wide they are.

wow that’s surprising to me. That’s like the cost of an enclosed transport. Welp, this is as good an excuse to fly out and drive it back. I don’t know where you are buying exactly but it’s probably about a 1k mike trip, give or take. You can do that in a weekend! Great opportunity to enjoy the truck and see the sights.

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This type of sales behavior is actually par for the course here in the Bay Area. They deal with a lot of wealthy, younger, IT types, who have never negotiated a price on a car. We have a few “one price” dealerships in the area, which is just code for “we’re going to screw you.”

Without question, shady sales tactic.

Buy out of the area and fly and drive or transport home, well worth the effort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CarlosnVegas

Reaction score
Never fall for the 'Invoice Pricing', Friends & Family, AAA, Sams, Costco group etc.. trick. It's like anything else in life. Their inventory is on consignment. They don't pay a dime. In fact, no one makes a dime until the unit is sold. Factory to Dealer incentives dictate the fluctuating depreciated value over time. For example- today is 08/2020 a new model year 2021 brand new truck, Factory wants MAX money, lets say 70k and dealer keeps balance from their price of 90k. Same truck in 01/2021 Factory provides incentive to dealer to sell. Factory now wants 60k so dealer drops price to say 80k. 03/21 Factory wants 50k dealer sells for 70k etc..Follow me? You will read fine print, Dealer retains all factory incentives. Same for all cars. In USA best time to buy anything is last day of 3rd quarter- Last day in November around 6pm local time. Why? Because that is the end of their sales year. Have a million buying tricks if need them. #1 though is to never go inside, until you have your price outside.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Never fall for the 'Invoice Pricing', Friends & Family, AAA, Sams, Costco group etc.. trick. It's like anything else in life. Their inventory is on consignment. They don't pay a dime. In fact, no one makes a dime until the unit is sold. Factory to Dealer incentives dictate the fluctuating depreciated value over time. For example- today is 08/2020 a new model year 2021 brand new truck, Factory wants MAX money, lets say 70k and dealer keeps balance from their price of 90k. Same truck in 01/2021 Factory provides incentive to dealer to sell. Factory now wants 60k so dealer drops price to say 80k. 03/21 Factory wants 50k dealer sells for 70k etc..Follow me? You will read fine print, Dealer retains all factory incentives. Same for all cars. In USA best time to buy anything is last day of 3rd quarter- Last day in November around 6pm local time. Why? Because that is the end of their sales year. Have a million buying tricks if need them. #1 though is to never go inside, until you have your price outside.
Yes, he didn't even get outside, that's how far he was from a deal at this dealership!

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I went down to the dealer, that had one that was not "bone" at least and spent about 6 hours and got it back to the sticker price at least. Whew, exhausting. Not the best deal I have made in my life...

Congrats on your purchase.

OP if you were wondering why salesman in AZ are ***** to "what's the invoice" type buyers here's your answer.

Money talks, what's your invoice walks after having their time wasted by a dbag salesman in AZ, CA, etc. You want to save need to look more middle of the country.