2019 hit on right front, $29K repair bill...insurance woes...USAA sucks!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah definitely get into a diminished value claim. First thing they ask every time i trade in a car is if its been in any wrecks.

TexasAggie94

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 442663

Here is my 2019, the wife was sitting in a turn lane and was struck almost broadside by a chick who traversed 3 lanes of traffic- apparently with here eyes closed- trying to get into the turn lane where my truck already was. She was at fault and cited for her foolishness, the wife has some injuries but she will recover from those. The truck is a different story... although the damage appeares to me to be somewhat minor, its not. The other driver at least had Farmers's insurance however, she only had $50k coverage for vehicle damage... The Farmers adjuster told me that they repairs would probably eclipse their coverage limit and he felt that it was totaled. The Truck went to Koon's Ford and they conducted a cursory inspection of the broken bits BUT did not have a mechanic inspect the frame or other mechanical bits. Farmers tossed this to my insurance (USAA) and they took their sweet time calling, advising or returning calls. Acting on their own they approved an invoice from Koons for the suspension and body bits for $15,920 (incl labor). They told Koons to start fixing... we are now 1.5 months since the they received the truck and they STILL have not looked for frame damage. My calls and texts to USAA went unanswered. Well, guess what... KOONS finally inspected the frame and ITS BENT, requiring it to be replaced.... Surely this is totaled now right? Nope, Koons sent another invoice to USAA for $12,290 more dollars for the apparent deconstruction and reconstruction of my truck. So, this is wehre I sit, now 2 months in and no expplanations from USAA... what does it take to total a truck? I am worried that I will get this back and I will be forever chasing down issues! What do you all think? what more can I do about this?
Thank you for your help!
John
Really disappointing to hear of such a poor response from USAA. I have been a member since 1991 and have to say that something has definitely changed at USAA over the past 5-10 years. The days of proactive reporting and updates have disappeared. Once a coveted Veteran perk, now more concerned with making polished commercials.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m sorry to hear about this. Keep in mind the frame is sectioned to facilitate replacement.
Doesn't the front frame section sleeve into the center section before the cab?

Screenshot_20240205-204108_Chrome.jpg And how does a Ford dealership not have access to a frame straightening machine, or be able to at least confirm if it's bent?

RollTigers

Reaction score
USAA has definitely been declining but accelerated especially since the Covid scare of 2020. I checked State Farm but was more expensive. Been with USAA since 1989 and they were awesome for a long time. Not anymore.

Sorry to hear about your truck. I’d be sick to my stomach. Hopefully it will be repaired correctly with no issues soon.

EmilieWells

Reaction score
In situations like yours, where there is significant damage to the frame and mechanical components, it's not uncommon for the repair costs to exceed the actual cash value of the vehicle, leading to it being declared a total loss. However, the final decision ultimately rests with your insurance company.
Since you're experiencing delays and lack of communication from USAA, it may be helpful to escalate your case. You can try contacting a supervisor or claims manager at USAA to express your concerns and request a resolution. Additionally, you may consider seeking legal advice from a Longmont drunk driving accident lawyer to understand your rights and options.

Last edited:

RogueClimber

Agent Orange
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In situations like yours, where there is significant damage to the frame and mechanical components, it's not uncommon for the repair costs to exceed the actual cash value of the vehicle, leading to it being declared a total loss. However, the final decision ultimately rests with your insurance company.

Looks like another bot got in...

Azurebeast

Reaction score
Been with USAA since 9/11. Have they gone down hill, absolutely. My daughter was hit by a drunk driver high on **** as well. She literally lived down the road from us. Took USAA over 5 weeks to pay us out in a totaled 2023 HIGHLANDER. We had to lawyer up to get medical bills paid by them. They turned commercial and are no longer member owned. Can’t remember the last time I got the end of year member check based on profits made by them

stevenstommyboy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been with USAA since 9/11. Have they gone down hill, absolutely. My daughter was hit by a drunk driver high on **** as well. She literally lived down the road from us. Took USAA over 5 weeks to pay us out in a totaled 2023 HIGHLANDER. We had to lawyer up to get medical bills paid by them. They turned commercial and are no longer member owned. Can’t remember the last time I got the end of year member check based on profits made by them
I still get my member payout every December. Believe they are still member owned. Service has gotten worse for sure. I agree to that

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this.
1st, truck can either be fixed or replaced.
Hope injuries aren't bad, and speedy recovery.
After being in a few wrecks, do keep long term issues in mind as mentioned.
There is a place not far from me that is constantly selling repaired Raptors.
Most often ads read that they had frame damage and whole truck was swapped onto new frame.
I have heard MANY times recently that insurance doesn't allow frame repair/straightening due to future responsibility.
If truck was in other accident later and didn't provide same protection due to repairs, insurance would be on the hook.
Good luck getting things resolved.