TheStraightPipes review released today.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EMY92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know what is interesting..especially to all you Gen 1 haters is that statistically the majority of new Raptor owners are millennials. Most of the posts on this site make it read like a rice burner tuner site. For us v8 purists we laugh at the the 3.5 version. Take those turbos off and you have nothing but a gutless 6 banger. There is nothing you gen 3 owners can do to make your trucks sound like you have something beefy under the hood. Reminds me of those guys that dress up their v6 camaros and race around with their exhaust systems trying to sound beefy. Sorry guys but a gutless v6 with turbos sounds like a gutless v6 with turbos. Are you sure its a ford? It would be interesting to see how many gen 3 owners used to drive rice burners.
My ride prior to my 2018 Raptor was an F150 with the 5.4L.

I'll take the gutless 6 banger 8 days a week.

OP
OP
LT_Liberator

LT_Liberator

Reaction score
Having been on these forums long enough, my instincts of the reactions were accurate. Regardless, I made the post with the admission of my bias - so no one should be shocked. (Even though some actually appear offended...)

ANYWAY:
I often ponder while reading through the [tons] of forum posts of people defending their superior TTV6 motors, an interesting hypothetical question:
IF Ford produced two engine options in the current Gen Raptor, with similar performance, similar weight distribution, and similar options, but with only TWO variations, which would you buy(?):
1. ~450 HP V8
2. ~450 HP TTV6

Interested in your responses. :)

BambiKiller

The Stripper Hunter
Reaction score
Having been on these forums long enough, my instincts of the reactions were accurate. Regardless, I made the post with the admission of my bias - so no one should be shocked. (Even though some actually appear offended...)

ANYWAY:
I often ponder while reading through the [tons] of forum posts of people defending their superior TTV6 motors, an interesting hypothetical question:
IF Ford produced two engine options in the current Gen Raptor, with similar performance, similar weight distribution, and similar options, but with only TWO variations, which would you buy(?):
1. ~450 HP V8
2. ~450 HP TTV6

TT V8 pls

T3amfish

Your mom goes to college
Reaction score
And yet… another view of the GEN3 TTV6 fan boys…

most of them are all stroking their dongs at the thought of the Raptor R…. With the V8… so are you guys saying you don’t like the Raptor R concept because it will have a V8 and is therefore inferior to the TTV6 that you would take “8 days a week” over a V8? … some how I’m thinking you wouldn’t

I then expect to see similar posts in the Raptor R section when the truck comes out.. that you would take your TTV6 over that truck… I bet I see the opposite

(The post has been stirred.. with a nice heaping portion of Morton’s for flavor)

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

ANYWAY:
1. ~450 HP V8
2. ~450 HP TTV6

V8

Ox3721

Full Access Member
Reaction score

ANYWAY:
1. ~450 HP V8
2. ~450 HP TTV6

If I was a flat lander, MAYBE the NA V8. The boosted engines perform better for us when camping and towing our travel trailer through the mountains. NA loses too much power at elevation.

Broken Wrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I love a V8, always have. That said, the best choice should be the unit that delivers the best power to weight ratio. If you have a 5000 lb weight truck and a 500Hp engine it is 10:1. So it depends on the package. All that said if you treat both engines the same then the V8 will always make more power. I would love a SC V8 all aluminum PowerPoint that produced 550-650HP, but if a v6 can provide it it will be lighter. There is also an MPG advantage. My wife had a 2019 corvette z06 in eco mode it shut off 4 cyl going down the hwy got 29mpg, but had 650HP at the go pedal. Best of both worlds.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You know what is interesting..especially to all you Gen 1 haters is that statistically the majority of new Raptor owners are millennials. Most of the posts on this site make it read like a rice burner tuner site. For us v8 purists we laugh at the the 3.5 version. Take those turbos off and you have nothing but a gutless 6 banger. There is nothing you gen 3 owners can do to make your trucks sound like you have something beefy under the hood. Reminds me of those guys that dress up their v6 camaros and race around with their exhaust systems trying to sound beefy. Sorry guys but a gutless v6 with turbos sounds like a gutless v6 with turbos. Are you sure its a ford? It would be interesting to see how many gen 3 owners used to drive rice burners.

You're a 2 post newbie making claims about the population of this forum? Really?

First off, where is the data to support your claim? And why does it matter what the age demographic is? I own a Gen 2, and I also own a Terminator Cobra and a Hemi. Only a simpleton caveman would rule out a newer, better looking, better performing truck based solely on cylinder count. That's called ignorance. Do you also "laugh" at a Cummins ISB because it's a 6 cylinder turbo? Your base fleet engine 6.2 would get smoked by trucks weighing thousands of pounds more than yours. While getting better fuel economy.

Sounds like you're just tired of getting whooped on by the faster, better performing Gen 2 and 3. Not everyone is so insecure in life that they need to justify their antiquated vehicle by comparing the number of cylinders. Have fun losing to EcoBoost Raptors in every measurable category.

Last edited: