Potential Gen 2 Owner with some question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AUcrnp3010

Reaction score
72100416038__9740C2E0-71E8-4F24-AC43-CE411EAFE777.fullsizerender.jpeg72100417244__4074CDBA-7888-4FA8-84BA-BE4C28C13C14.fullsizerender.jpeg72100420052__17379E0D-C1CA-4443-B37E-BDADBD2278A3.fullsizerender.jpeg72100421169__DC503FA0-546A-4B01-BF14-85705F24B082.fullsizerender.jpeg72100422356__224885C7-8A81-4699-B40E-825F55D29118.fullsizerender.jpegHey guys,
New to the forum. Long time lurker.

I have the opportunity to buy a new to me 2018 Gen 2 concrete grey raptor. I have never owned a raptor before. I know several people who have and have driven them.

The 2018 I am looking at is a one owner gen 2. Regularly serviced and have all service records in hand from the Ford dealer where the guy took it to. Clean car fax, no wrecks. Regularly maintained.

The truck came back from initial inspection today- in a nut shell- cam phasers replaced (the guy had your typical "cold start rattling" complaint) and Ford replaced all phasers on their dime. Tires have been replaced in last 1-1.5 years. New mounted spare tire. Water pump replaced and rear differential resealed. No more coolant leak per service notes. No more rattle. Then they did your basic oil/ cabin filter change, rotate tires and balance, new wipers, new battery, transmission oil flushed and replaced.

So to me looks like the big 3- cam phasers, water pump, and diff have all been addressed and no major issues / fixes have been done on thier dime.

The truck has just over 80 k miles. Price is 43, 990. Ford is offering me a 4 yr/ 48 k miles premium blud (or blue premium ford warranty) which lady said is basically your 3yr/ 36 k bumper to bumper just longer- for 3k (this is a no brainer).

Can also tack on for $760 a service plan which is for 4 yr or 60 k miles- oil change, tire rotation and balance and reg fluid checks. This also seems like a no brainer to me (in oil change alone)- oil can be changed every 7 k miles.

I have all the screen shots from the service notes and would like to post them here to see if anyone has any other input I should be concerned with or at least ask about.

Shocks- I know this is a huge topic / cost. Supposedly, guy who owned truck used it for your typical drive to / from work and occasional get pine straw/ sod/ light duty stuff- no extreme driving off road. When I am looking or asking about shock rebuild vs replacment- what am I actually looking for/ feel for when driving. I feel like I already have a great deal on hand as they priced it under to begin with and signed so they have to honor their price...

Anyways, all help/ advice is greatly appreciated!

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good deal to me. Send it!

I haven't come across anything on here about not replacing/rebuilding shocks past 90k miles. I would think they would be pretty much shot by then, even if they weren't "high performance" Fox shocks. Exchange programs are about $1700 (including core charge). $600-800 if you take them off and take them somewhere for a rebuild. Or, you can go with a brand new set. They come up every now and then on here.

OP
OP
AUcrnp3010

AUcrnp3010

Reaction score
Sounds like a good deal to me. Send it!

I haven't come across anything on here about not replacing/rebuilding shocks past 90k miles. I would think they would be pretty much shot by then, even if they weren't "high performance" Fox shocks. Exchange programs are about $1700 (including core charge). $600-800 if you take them off and take them somewhere for a rebuild. Or, you can go with a brand new set. They come up every now and then on here.
Thanks for the reply. So is it just understood knowledge that these shocks only "last" up till 85-90 k miles? Even if lightly driven? When I read rebuild? What exactly is being rebuilt within the shock itself? Does Ford do the rebuild or you take it somehwere third party?

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. So is it just understood knowledge that these shocks only "last" up till 85-90 k miles? Even if lightly driven? When I read rebuild? What exactly is being rebuilt within the shock itself? Does Ford do the rebuild or you take it somehwere third party?
A Fox Factory authorized shop would do the rebuild, not Ford. They take the shocks apart and replace any worn valving, then new seals, then recharge with nitrogen. If you think about it, it's not a bad deal really... cheaper than most shock replacements on a European luxury car, for example.

90-100k miles is about it for service life of ANY shock, really. That goes for pretty much any passenger vehicle.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Ford recommends rebuilding of the shocks around 50k miles. A few good vendors that will rebuild if you send them in. Use the search function and read for yourself.

I would skip the oil change service thing. They don't use full synthetic oil.

OP
OP
AUcrnp3010

AUcrnp3010

Reaction score
Welcome to FRF!

Sounds like a good deal, and really surprised to see someone who has done their homework.

Just gotta do somethin about that Auburn avatar. ;-)
lol- don't hate on the Auburn avatar!
well given this is my what feels like 100th time finding a truck I like just to be let down by lack of transparency on the dealer part, I come a "guns a blazin" with all my questions to protect myself/ my money.

OP
OP
AUcrnp3010

AUcrnp3010

Reaction score
Ford recommends rebuilding of the shocks around 50k miles. A few good vendors that will rebuild if you send them in. Use the search function and read for yourself.

10-4. Thanks for the response. Ford doesn't use full synthetic oil but I bet they recommend it to make $$$- smh.- not surprising.

OP
OP
AUcrnp3010

AUcrnp3010

Reaction score

10-4. Thanks for the response. Ford doesn't use full synthetic oil but I bet they recommend it to make $$$- smh.- not surprising

Sharpie69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a look in the garage sale section, there's someone with a posting for Gen 2 non live valve , very low mileage take offs for sale. Maybe you strike up a deal with him. Also, I agree with not doing the oil change package, if at all possible do it yourself and rotate tires every 5k mi. Good luck with the purchase, you're going to love the Raptor