Test Drive or Race!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamtoRap

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I have been obsessing over a Raptor for sometime now. One hesitation I have about pulling the trigger is I am afraid it will be too slow for my tastes and really want to either race one with my truck or preferably drive one. I have a basically stock 2010 4X4 Ram, performance wise (k&N and exhaust) but being a regular cab with the 392 axle she's pretty quick.
If someone would be willing to help me out with this I would be very grateful. I would be happy to give you some money or buy you a beer, or if you want you can drive my truck (I know I know, just for another perspective!) or if its in the summer you can drive my 392 Challenger. I live in Farmington Minnesota, let me know if this is a possibility, from one automotive enthusiast to another it would be much appreciated. The dealers are pretty protective and don't want to go thru a bunch of BS unless I am sure I just want to buy one.

Attachments

• 078.jpg
    078.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 082.jpg
    082.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 82
OP
OP
R

RamtoRap

Reaction score
Hmm? The Raptor isn't a street rod. It's an off road monster that would shake a Mopar's stereo buttons off.

I know its not a street rod, and I am not looking for one but I use my truck as a daily driver as well and just want to make sure its quick enough for my tastes. I drove a 5.4 once and that was way too slow for my tastes.

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I came from an '09 SRT Jeep. It was only lightly modded but hella fast compared to a Raptor. Ran around 12.8s and 0-60 under 5sec rain or shine. That said I don't miss it one bit. The Raptor is a different experience. It has good power and a tune really wakes it up but you won't find yourself racing around. You will find yourself driving over curbs without bothering to slow down, jumping speed bumps, driving through large puddles instead of avoiding them, etc. Oh and people get the hell out of your way just because.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I know its not a street rod, and I am not looking for one but I use my truck as a daily driver as well and just want to make sure its quick enough for my tastes. I drove a 5.4 once and that was way too slow for my tastes.

The 6.2 had a noticeable difference from the 5.4. When I first drive a raptor it was a molten orange 5.4. I was thoroughly disappointed in the engine capabilities, I expected more from such a beast. When I bought my 6.2 that was the first thing I noticed. Sorry 5.4 guys but the 6.2 is way better. I usually stay out of the **** measuring contests but I wouldn't recommend a 5.4 to anyone looking to buy a raptor. Get it tuned and you'll see even more out of it but the point is that offroad it'll smoke any stock truck you put it up against.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i raced a Ram Rumble Bee a couple months ago on the highway. i am not sure on what mods he had but i destroyed him. he got on it 1st and jumped out on me but i reeled him in quickly and walked away. my mods are CAI, full SW exhaust, and custom tune

tipnring

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I test drove a used 2012 white Screw. Got it in some mud & my wife & daughter in law didn't want to be in the raptor when we dropped it back off since we got mud on the white body parts.
Had to drop them off at the outlet mall & then took it back. After that test drive I was hooked. I ordered a 2013 Scab.

I had a 2004 Silverado Z71 Reg. Cab with 4.10 that I really liked. It was very quick but in no way compares with my Raptor.

You won't be disappointed & won't have any problem selling it if you decide to get something else later on.

Attachments

• 2004silverado.jpg
    2004silverado.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

goinsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP,
You're probably better off staying away from the Raptor if you're looking for a race truck to drive around in. That's not what the Raptor is built for. If you want to play in the dirt and driving the baddest truck available off the lot, get the Raptor. If you want a race truck to dart in and out of traffic like a car, look elsewhere.

OP
OP
R

RamtoRap

Reaction score
i raced a Ram Rumble Bee a couple months ago on the highway. i am not sure on what mods he had but i destroyed him. he got on it 1st and jumped out on me but i reeled him in quickly and walked away. my mods are CAI, full SW exhaust, and custom tune

That's awesome! Keep in mind though the rumble bees were 345 horse stock. Starting in 09 Ram's went to 390 horse and 395 starting in 13.