Sunroof Exploded

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And there's the reason that so many Ford service departments suck so badly. They're running a scam and FMC is clueless. Or they don't care and act clueless as a cover. I'm 50/50 on that one.

It’s not that Ford doesn’t care about customer service, it’s that they have very little control over the day-to-day operations of the dealers. Ford and most other auto manufacturers have have what is called a “sales and service agreement”; they are not traditional franchises like a fast food restaurant.

That means if dealer has poor customer service scores or fails to follow manufacturer policies, pretty much the worst they can do is take away incentive program money. It takes a lot of (typically illegal/warranty) violations before the manufacturer will go through the process of closing a store. What makes it even harder is the fact that dealers have powerful lobbyist groups and are often in with state lawmakers.

In an ideal world, dealers would be like a restaurant franchise. Same prices, same processes, same policies no matter what store you visit. Unfortunately there is a lot of money to be made by being an “independently owned and operated” dealer, which is why I don’t see that changing for the better in the foreseeable future.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to hearing what they come up with. I just want my sunroof fixed, all this political BS is aggravating.

Glass damage is typically pretty easy to determine warrantability, as long as the pieces are still intact. If there is a chip/impact mark with cracks radiating from the origin, it’s considered damage and is non-warrantable.

Stress cracks originate beneath a molding or edge, with no evidence of impact to the glass or surrounding moldings or body panels.

To further assist, there is the pen test and flashlight test. To perform the pen test, run a ball point tipped pen along the crack. If impact damage is present, the tip will catch the depression caused by the impact. The flashlight test consists of aiming a flashlight at a 45 degree angle along the crack. The light highlights the crack, making it easier to see if the crack originated at an impact mark.

Regardless, I’d be asking the dealer for the correspondence records with Ford corporate. It’s only reasonable that they provide you with the documentation showing why the claim is denied. Most dealers have no problem providing that information, because it takes the heat off of them to provide Ford’s response with the explanation.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’d be asking the dealer for the correspondence records with Ford corporate. It’s only reasonable that they provide you with the documentation showing why the claim is denied. Most dealers have no problem providing that information, because it takes the heat off of them to provide Ford’s response with the explanation.

That’s a really good suggestion.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No, nothing hit it. If something did, I certainly didn't hear it.

It has been closed for the past few months because I'm in Florida, it's super humid and hot and it rains literally every day.

The only thing I did differently today was open the shade because it's sort of overcast.
a-ha. You opened the shade. How dare you? Guilty as charged. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.