Subtle Clunking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CenTexRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine sounds like a golf ball is loose in a pocket between the cab and the bed. Removed everything from the bed, checked everything in the back, rode in the back seat, feels/sounds like from under the vehicle. Occasionally when the truck is tilted as in a banked curve I hear it (like a ball rolled to the side), but mostly over the bumps. Is this the same noise everyone else is hearing? I looked underneath, thought maybe because the skid plate over the gas tank wasn't secured in the front, could bounce, but after putting a rubber hose piece between, it made no difference, so that isn't it. Seems odd if really suspension or shocks?

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I read the first 100 replies and gave up looking, but did anybody just bolt up a (non live valve) Gen 2 rear shock and test it that way? I just bought an unused 2017 pair for about $400 each. It would be an inexpensive and simple experiment to buy one and try it out on each side to see if it can be fixed that way.

kpecks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '22 35 package has the clunk/thud in the passenger side, same characteristics like most others. I can feel it in the pedal and in the floor board when the suspension on the passenger side gets articulated. To me it sounds like a shock issue.

CenTexRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try looking at this thread before posting any more here:

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Try looking at this thread before posting any more here:
Applaud the effort @CenTexRaptor but this will fall on deaf ears. Willing to bet someone starts a new thread reporting the same damn problem.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How come there are so many reviews of the Gen 3 and none of them noticed the noise? With all the hard miles on these press vehicles; NOBODY heard the clunk?

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my guess is a lot of the reviews aren't going thru the bumpy subdivision streets and are at higher offroad speeds and you don't hear it then. just at low speeds. At least in my case. Just a guess. but I don't hear mine until I am under 40 ish on bumpy subdivision streets. mine sounds like when my 18 had bum sway bar links except its all the way around.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
my guess is a lot of the reviews aren't going thru the bumpy subdivision streets and are at higher offroad speeds and you don't hear it then. just at low speeds. At least in my case. Just a guess. but I don't hear mine until I am under 40 ish on bumpy subdivision streets. mine sounds like when my 18 had bum sway bar links except its all the way around.
This is part of it.

When manufacturers deliver press fleet vehicles, they don’t deliver “off the assembly line” vehicles, they’re gone over with a fine toothed comb. In the motorcycle world, these are called “magazine bikes” because they’re 100% of the time, always faster, more powerful and just seem to handle better.

At one point, they were hand assembling balanced rotating assemblies that could put out up to 10hp more than an assembly line bike. That is a big deal when you’re talking about a 600cc mill pushing 105hp or a 1000cc mill pushing 210. Now, I don’t know if Ford goes to that length, but you can damn well bet they won’t let any press get a hold of a problem child truck.

Some reviewers aren’t looking for the clunk, others aren’t putting themselves in a position to reproduce the issue.

Don’t forget that some users have reported the truck was fine for a few hundred miles and the clunk set in later or they didn’t notice it immediately.

Finally, it’s a pretty solid bet that Ford QA did find the issue before the truck hit the streets, but they likely found it in such low numbers that they gave the go to market ok with the understanding that some would encounter it but most would not or wouldn’t care.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not to mention most people play the radio loud enough not to hear. I myself from time to time just leave it off just to listen for anything new. mostly early morning on the way to work. not in the mood for loud radio. dont even want to go to work that early let alone listen to the radio. on the way home thats a different story. won't hear any noises on the way home for sure.