SP542 Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
odd , thats the first time anyone has reported a problem.

Be that as it may, I’ve got a slightly used set that will never make it back into my truck.

Attachments

• AE5BEA39-D05B-4994-A0A8-AB7527B867AC.jpg
    AE5BEA39-D05B-4994-A0A8-AB7527B867AC.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 80

cdurbin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I recently picked up the raptor from the dealership so I'm just now delving into this. One thing I failed to see mentioned is, has anyone actually taken a look at the knock sensors?

I’m beginning to wonder if maybe we have super sensitive knock sensors? The reason I bring this up is when I used to own a 95 Thunderbird Supercoupe people ran into this problem all the time. We would take the factory 3.8L with an Eaton M90 supercharger (most of us swapped out to custom built twin screw superchargers) and we often ran into issues with the knock sensors tripping for no reason. Change the exhaust? Knock sensor would pull timing. Cruise up a slight incline at an odd engine load - pulled timing. This led to bogging under acceleration, stuttering, etc.

Has anyone done any actual data logging on these trucks claiming such big improvements to see what is actually going on? Especially with it being so hit or miss, and it being a known problem on Ford vehicles of the past.

If anyone is interested, I know Cardomain is a thing of the past, but here's the last '95 I had. First one was totaled due to a drunk driver.
33908680001_large.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3390868/1995-ford-thunderbird/

-Corey

Gargamel

Banned
Reaction score
Alright, so I recently picked up the raptor from the dealership so I'm just now delving into this. One thing I failed to see mentioned is, has anyone actually taken a look at the knock sensors?

I’m beginning to wonder if maybe we have super sensitive knock sensors? The reason I bring this up is when I used to own a 95 Thunderbird Supercoupe people ran into this problem all the time. We would take the factory 3.8L with an Eaton M90 supercharger (most of us swapped out to custom built twin screw superchargers) and we often ran into issues with the knock sensors tripping for no reason. Change the exhaust? Knock sensor would pull timing. Cruise up a slight incline at an odd engine load - pulled timing. This led to bogging under acceleration, stuttering, etc.

Has anyone done any actual data logging on these trucks claiming such big improvements to see what is actually going on? Especially with it being so hit or miss, and it being a known problem on Ford vehicles of the past.

If anyone is interested, I know Cardomain is a thing of the past, but here's the last '95 I had. First one was totaled due to a drunk driver.
33908680001_large.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3390868/1995-ford-thunderbird/

-Corey

You need to connect with 03Darin. He has data logs out the ***** on this.

buyrogue_TYH

Reaction score
Just replaced plugs at 2320 miles, stock everything but running 93 octane since Day 1.

Applied anti-seize to the threads and dielectric grease to the boot. Hardest part was reaching over the truck to get to the plugs, y'all must be some long armed MFs...

Stock plugs pictured...

Attachments

• 6E5B776C-3D40-48A8-B5A9-6D6D1CDAF8CB.jpg
    6E5B776C-3D40-48A8-B5A9-6D6D1CDAF8CB.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 68

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
odd , thats the first time anyone has reported a problem.

My truck doesn’t have any issues on stock plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

Hardest part was reaching over the truck to get to the plugs, y'all must be some long armed MFs...

Stock plugs pictured...

I use the fog light cutouts as foot steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gargamel

Banned
Reaction score
There should be no reason to have to change spark plugs on these so early. If you do, there are larger problems.