SP542 Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sledgehammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck was on stock tune until recently and it had a hesitation from the first day i picked it up from the dealer. The hesitation is gone now. Honestly i probably could have gapped the stock plugs down and achieved the same affect but the plugs were only $50, super easy to install and now that my truck has a JB4 adding extra boost running a cooler plug is fine.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if these hesitation issues are something related to a poor connection to the coil pack or something, and simply the process of installing new plugs is correcting something else?

FatBuoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried this. And it worked. I've had the hesitation/surge thing since it was new. Should I have taken it to the dealer? Probably. But I guess over the year I just got used to it. Put these plugs in because of this thread, and gone. I left the gaps as they came.

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I tried this. And it worked. I've had the hesitation/surge thing since it was new. Should I have taken it to the dealer? Probably. But I guess over the year I just got used to it. Put these plugs in because of this thread, and gone. I left the gaps as they came.

Stock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I threw the 542s in at 28k miles and yes, truck feels peppier and a bit more responsive. All stock.

Wow I’m surprised that a plug change can do this. Not sure why ford doesn’t change their plug specs ?

Any long term concerns for these plugs ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BendSprinter

Reaction score
Just did mine because at $36- from O’Reillys can’t really go wrong. Truck has 12k miles / stock tune and for me I didn’t notice any smoothing, pep, or anything else better than before changing. The old plugs looked more worn that I would have expected at 12k miles but otherwise - ehh. If anything I was so hyper sensitive to stumbles and looking for improvement I noticed more roughness than normal. I am sure just in my mind.

Didn’t check the gap on the originals.