So it’s the 18th

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
i have a simple solution. give me your truck and start over

Ha. I have been asked "how much for the truck?" less than a few times.

It has sentimental value for me now and I don't think that I'll ever sell it.

Happy to toss you the keys if we're ever on a run or offroading together though!

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
But.......What went wrong? :rolleyes:

after a few rapid-fire unexpected life experiences, I decided that there was no time like the present and hit the fast-forward button on a build that I planned to spend 2 years on.

I had intended to purchase a different truck to do the build but ended up doing the build with the raptor instead. At this point, I'm pretty close to "build complete".

Once It is where I planned to take it (An interior roll cage will go in this summer. Still trying to decide on built EcoBoost or V8.), I'll start on my next build.

( which will be essentially a trophy truck with a cab, glass, and air conditioning.)

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha. I have been asked "how much for the truck?" less than a few times.

It has sentimental value for me now and I don't think that I'll ever sell it.

Happy to toss you the keys if we're ever on a run or offroading together though!
one of these days we will get together. i know jeremiah he used to live close to me. would love to see your trucks capabilities

GWBush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
buying the raptor (or the Jeep) is the cheap part.

Most people will also look at a "healthy" build and all they pay attention to is the price of the parts/kits.

Guess what? if you cringe at supercar owners spending $1000+ on oil changes, a set of tires running $2500, or a brake job setting you back $2000...

a heavily modified raptor, a prerunner, or any other offroad hobby vehicle is NOT for you.

No one wants to have a cool truck, that is sitting in the garage, for months or years, because you can't afford to fix/maintain it.

Certainly not trying to scare anyone away from a Raptor, merely illuminating the point that you absolutely have to be prepared/budget to maintain any fun/hobby vehicle. Desert vehicles are certainly on the more expensive side to maintain properly.

It is also worth weighing what many "upgrades" mean in terms of maintenance.

Getting race-quality shocks rebuilt regularly ~ $2500-$5000 depending on what they need. ( 2 coilovers, 4 bypass shocks, 2 bump stop cans)
Running "race" tires ~ Unless you are part of a race program, KR3s tend to go for $500-$600 per.
The RGO for a currie rear end is about $100.
All fluids should be changed after you take the truck out.
The time it takes to torque check, mark, and prep the whole truck is either an investment of your time, or you paying for someone else's.

Lastly, Don't worry so much about keeping up with the Jones'. (OMG I saw person "xyz" on Instagram and he upgraded his truck to have this and that. i NEED IT.) No one needs a 1000hp V8 and 86 inches of suspension travel to get out into the desert with like-minded people to have some fun.

You can have fun in ANYTHING. The secret to a happy life is to want what you already have. It makes me sad when people buy a Raptor and for whatever reason, think that you can't have fun in the truck, go on runs, or just enjoy it until it is "built".

Having fun with Raptors is about sharing time with like-minded people. Budget for your truck, budget to have fun that you can afford and get out into the dirt with your homies.
Preach Brother!! Lots of truth in here