So it’s the 18th

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem is, most of society lives paycheck to paycheck and are impulse buyers and always have regret later on, but don't learn til later in life, while some never learn either though.

My Raptor was an impulse buy. Only because I've been immasculated for years.

I can say confidently now that I am cured. Not even a GT3 could fix it.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The problem is, most of society lives paycheck to paycheck and are impulse buyers and always have regret later on, but don't learn til later in life, while some never learn either though.

This. If you can't afford another $75-$100, you should be buying a stripped F-150, maybe used, not a Raptor. Bank the extra money until you have a year's worth of living expenses in cash, which you don't touch. Only then start worrying about what you can afford. It really sucks when you lose your job and start missing house and car payments. If the economy is in the toilet and you can't find another job right away, and you can't get out from under the payments because you're under water, you could end up homeless. Literally. If you're lucky, you only end up bankrupt. Totally not worth the risk. If you want to be really prudent financially, wait until you can pay cash before you buy a vehicle. Money in the bank and no payments is like having the world by the tail and a downhill pull.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you can't afford to play the game, you can't afford the car ...

A lot of truth there. Now do you see releases being scheduled for Hyundai Elantra’s? (Example) All this hype, pre release talk, manufacturer’s month’s ahead of time showtime pre release BS only happen for enthusiast or higher end vehicles. So they lure you in and keep building up your interest. Because eventually when all the details and pricing Is released, some will decide to buy and others won’t.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
If you can't afford to play the game, you can't afford the car ...

buying the raptor (or the Jeep) is the cheap part.

Most people will also look at a "healthy" build and all they pay attention to is the price of the parts/kits.

Guess what? if you cringe at supercar owners spending $1000+ on oil changes, a set of tires running $2500, or a brake job setting you back $2000...

a heavily modified raptor, a prerunner, or any other offroad hobby vehicle is NOT for you.

No one wants to have a cool truck, that is sitting in the garage, for months or years, because you can't afford to fix/maintain it.

Certainly not trying to scare anyone away from a Raptor, merely illuminating the point that you absolutely have to be prepared/budget to maintain any fun/hobby vehicle. Desert vehicles are certainly on the more expensive side to maintain properly.

It is also worth weighing what many "upgrades" mean in terms of maintenance.

Getting race-quality shocks rebuilt regularly ~ $2500-$5000 depending on what they need. ( 2 coilovers, 4 bypass shocks, 2 bump stop cans)
Running "race" tires ~ Unless you are part of a race program, KR3s tend to go for $500-$600 per.
The RGO for a currie rear end is about $100.
All fluids should be changed after you take the truck out.
The time it takes to torque check, mark, and prep the whole truck is either an investment of your time, or you paying for someone else's.

Lastly, Don't worry so much about keeping up with the Jones'. (OMG I saw person "xyz" on Instagram and he upgraded his truck to have this and that. i NEED IT.) No one needs a 1000hp V8 and 86 inches of suspension travel to get out into the desert with like-minded people to have some fun.

You can have fun in ANYTHING. The secret to a happy life is to want what you already have. It makes me sad when people buy a Raptor and for whatever reason, think that you can't have fun in the truck, go on runs, or just enjoy it until it is "built".

Having fun with Raptors is about sharing time with like-minded people. Budget for your truck, budget to have fun that you can afford and get out into the dirt with your homies.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don`t understand the reasoning as to why manufactures do what they do when it comes to news releases on vehicles ... not everyone is into playing games

They do it because they make more money that way. Here's an article about ticket sales and last minute fees. A low advertised price and unadvertised "mandatory" fees at checkout cause customers to spend more than if they knew the full price up front.

https://phys.org/news/2021-02-massive-ticket-sellers-last-second-fees.html

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
buying the raptor (or the Jeep) is the cheap part.

Most people will also look at a "healthy" build and all they pay attention to is the price of the parts/kits.

Perhaps it's regional, but the majority of Raptors I see have not been modified in anyway that I can tell. Jeeps, I would agree, as very few people keep their Jeeps stock. Honestly, I would say that the majority of people who buy a Ford truck with the idea that they are going to mod it will get an XLT or one of the other 'lower trim levels. Indeed, the professional modified packages are usually based off the XLT. And there's no Raptor tax.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Perhaps it's regional, but the majority of Raptors I see have not been modified in anyway that I can tell. Jeeps, I would agree, as very few people keep their Jeeps stock. Honestly, I would say that the majority of people who buy a Ford truck with the idea that they are going to mod it will get an XLT or one of the other 'lower trim levels. Indeed, the professional modified packages are usually based off the XLT. And there's no Raptor tax.

Most of my friends that have Linked/backhalfed trucks that started as raptors Built them up as mid-travel / leaf spring trucks, mobbed the hell out of them, Rolled/crashed them, and then opted to have the truck built into a full-blown prerunner. (there really isn't a whole lot that you are going to do with a raptor that you totaled offroad, and it is really rare that insurance would even consider covering the damage).

I only know one person who went and bought a new xlt, shipped it to the shop, and said " build me a luxury prerunner."

I'm pretty certain that my perspective is a little skewed towards "full-retard", so take what I experience as "normal" with a grain of salt.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most of my friends that have Linked/backhalfed trucks that started as raptors Built them up as mid-travel / leaf spring trucks, mobbed the hell out of them, Rolled/crashed them, and then opted to have the truck built into a full-blown prerunner. (there really isn't a whole lot that you are going to do with a raptor that you totaled offroad, and it is really rare that insurance would even consider covering the damage).

I only know one person who went and bought a new xlt, shipped it to the shop, and said " build me a luxury prerunner."

I'm pretty certain that my perspective is a little skewed towards "full-retard", so take what I experience as "normal" with a grain of salt.

It sounds like you're talking about people that are going to on regular offroad excursions, and you're surely correct that that group is going to mod their vehicle. For those that want a DD with an occasional trip offroad (or look like they take it offroad), they are either going to stay stock or buy a vehicle that's cheaper to mod.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
It sounds like you're talking about people that are going to on regular offroad excursions, and you're surely correct that that group is going to mod their vehicle. For those that want a DD with an occasional trip offroad (or look like they take it offroad), they are either going to stay stock or buy a vehicle that's cheaper to mod.

1000% agree.

If I knew when I was Raptor shopping that I'd take my truck this far, I would have started with something else.

it was supposed to be my DD that I "left alone".

No regrets.