SHOCK TOWER CRACKING

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the interest of preventing this sort of damage

Ford recommends rebuilds every 10K if you are heavy offroading (and 50K if not). If it's been awhile the tower metal has been taking a beating if the shock is too worn out to work properly.

I would weld a plate in too.

mashtastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know krazy house has buckets for gen 1 conversions not sure if it could work with gen 2s

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A shock tower brace for the GEN1 Raptor looks like a challenging engineering problem to me. The shock towers are deep in the engine compartment, with the top of the shock towers on the same level with the lower bank of spark plugs. The vertical rise from the top of the shock tower to clear the intake duct is on the order of 17.5 inches, the clearance between the intake duct and the hood is 3 inches or less, and it appears that the coolant reservoir would have to be relocated or redesigned.

Given 17.5 inches of height and the horizontal distance between the shock towers, that's a lot of distance and therefore a lot a metal to flex under load. Such a brace would have to be extremely robust and made of heavy gauge, high grade (stiff) steel. It might be easier to design independent braces for each side, but the only thing to bolt them to would be the body metal under the hood.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You really need to spend a couple hundred bucks to have metallurgist look at that corrosion. It sure looks like chloride attack. Is the metal by chance stainless? The surface corrosion and cracking can be fixed if you know what’s causing it. Might be as simple as washing that area better or coating it.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You really need to spend a couple hundred bucks to have metallurgist look at that corrosion. It sure looks like chloride attack. Is the metal by chance stainless? The surface corrosion and cracking can be fixed if you know what’s causing it. Might be as simple as washing that area better or coating it.
That seems like a real possibility, as the battery is so close to the passenger side shock tower on the GEN1 models.

KevGT40

Reaction score
I do Yacht sales and support in Baja so im there 6-7 months a year. A lotttttt of miles down there. And my Spanish still sucks
Dude, I just check out your business website. I know you said you did yacht support, however those are some bitchin villas. Have you ever stayed at any of them? I guess that goes for the yachts to.