GEN 1 Upper Rear Shock Bolt - Tack Welded?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kggolden

Reaction score
While chasing down a clunk coming from my rear shocks, I went to check if the upper and lower shock bolts were torqued to spec and found my upper shock bolts were tack welded in place.

Up until now I assumed nothing has been rebuilt or taken apart since new (92k miles, shocks are 110% dead). Has anyone seen this before? Both sides match and look consistent. If I didn't know better I'd think it was like that from the factory.

I have rebuilt units on order and will be swapping them as soon as they show up. These welds add a bit more complication to the project. Once these are removed I'll replace with zinc hardware from Fastenal or KHC.

IMG_3073.jpg

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
they dont come like that but most likely was done as a theft deterrent more than anything else... i wouldnt be mad, easy to grind thru that and move on with life..

OP
OP
K

kggolden

Reaction score
No biggie, just adds a few more minutes to the job.

In case anyone else is looking for the rear suspension clunk I was investigating, this video shows it exactly!

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's pretty wild. Haven't seen that before. Kinda creative for a theft-deterrent though!