GEN 1 Fox 3.0 clunk .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jessie5150

Reaction score
Looking for some insight on these dam shocks . Came across many threads and no one seems to have a answer .

Installed some fox 3.0 on my gen 1 . Have the clunk/metallic sound as if something is loose in the front end . At any speed going over cracks/expansion joints . Speed bumps or anything that makes the shock cycle fast .bumpy uneven roads etc. But over big bumps nothing . Only over small stuff .

Checked and torqued everything . Tried chasing it down. Started throwing parts at. Replaced lCA bushings (stock) replaced upper control arm with oem . Replaced lower ball joint . Replaced inner and outer tie rods .replaced the lower shock mount bolt with the correct shank from KHC . Also adjusted the rack and pinion to get out any slack . Running no sway bar. So can't be that .

Shocks are brand new .have about 1000 miles . Done it since from out the box .just curious if anyone else has came across this issue or has a fix .

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-12-16-08-00-28-52_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-12-16-08-00-28-52_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 54

emerald_nomad - RLTW

Reaction score
I have 3.0's as well, but everything has been gutted and swapped for SVC goodies. No clunking anywhere. But what i can say is get yourself a gopro and strap it in close to where you think the noise is coming from and go for a quick drive.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Any chance the (2) top shims aren't installed right or the Fox billet piece isn't sitting right? Those idiotic cast steel shims were designed to avoid redesigning the Gen 1 coil bucket, which is why we have to sandwich the top of the bucket between shims and need a different top insulator with longer studs than regular F150's.

Attachments

• 20221216_074402.jpg
    20221216_074402.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 42
  • 20221216_074847.jpg
    20221216_074847.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
OP
OP
jessie5150

jessie5150

Reaction score
@TomDirt according to Fox you don't run those shims ? . And I didn't because the hardware that came with the shocks didn't allow you run them if you wanted to, unless you buy longer bolts . It's just driving me crazy because that clank is coming from both sides . Maybe I'll pull them out this weekend and see if I can see any marks on the top hat to see if it's moving around or indented somewhere .

OP
OP
jessie5150

jessie5150

Reaction score
@emerald_nomad - RLTW
When you say swapped for svc goodies , do you mean tie rods , UCA and LCA ?
I've had the clunk with the stock shocks there for that's what lead to replacing the shocks but with solid bushings it just intensified . That's why I started to replace all the worn parts .

I talked to a buddy here locally and he had the same issue but he replaced the lCA and uca with rpg and it went away but he ran icons ..so not sure if it was the lCA flexing or uca

On your shocks do you have more preload on them ?

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd try the GoPro method first. It beats taking the truck apart. I'd also try to find a shock tech at Fox that you can send the video to, if it's definitely a shock issue. I bet they'll want to get this figured out if they haven't already.

OP
OP
jessie5150

jessie5150

Reaction score
I'm gonna have to do the GoPro . Lol I've taken the front end apart so many times already . And triple checked everything . Just leads back to the shocks. Just cant find any play when I do a shake down .
It's a clunk as if there's not enough pre load . Called fox they said theres pre load . Just need to find someone who had this issue with fox 3.0 and found the problem to fixing it .

emerald_nomad - RLTW

Reaction score
@emerald_nomad - RLTW
When you say swapped for svc goodies , do you mean tie rods , UCA and LCA ?
I've had the clunk with the stock shocks there for that's what lead to replacing the shocks but with solid bushings it just intensified . That's why I started to replace all the worn parts .

I talked to a buddy here locally and he had the same issue but he replaced the lCA and uca with rpg and it went away but he ran icons ..so not sure if it was the lCA flexing or uca

On your shocks do you have more preload on them ?
(it's the Performance Pack #2 from SVC)
3.0's, UCA’s, LCA's, Tie rods, Adj bump sys, Deaver Leaf springs, etc.
I'm sure I'm forgetting somethings (someone on here is a pro and explained my own setup to me before I even knew what I had). Previous owner was the big baller that spent quite a bit on the upgrades. I'll attach a picture so you can visually see where the preload is at. Shoot me a PM and I can send you better ones. Let's figure this out for you! These guys on this forum are pros

Attachments

• 20221216_144454.jpg
    20221216_144454.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 60

ScottyMacSD

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my gen one from the moment I installed fox 3.0 on the front. It got wore over time and sounded like I had a broken motor mount. After a shit load of research and going back and forth with Fox, they sad its probably worn spherical bearings on either the top and /or bottom mounts. Which did not make sense since they had been doing it since I installed them, but finally bought sets for both sides.to make a long story short, The problem was not the bearings themselves originally, It was that the lower set of reducer sleeves that slide into both sides of the bearings, which the mounting bolt goes through, had the tolerances off on one of the shocks from the time they were manufactured. How I realized this is when i removed the shocks the sleeves just fell out of the bearings on one shock and the rest had to be tapped out with a punch. I remember when I installed the shocks the same shock had the sleeves falling out as I tried to install it. I verified there was a difference using my digital caliper. I don't remember how off but it was not much. But just that small amount was enough to cause the clunk. So much for highly precision components, right.
Also the upper bearings were in fact much looser than the lower bearings which I believe became loose after a pretty hard hit going over cross cut in the road from water flowing over the dirt road which was only about 4-6" deep and about a foot wide but at higher speeds it hit the suspension hard and then started making a louder clunk. One I replace the lower sleeves and upper bearings, It had been totally quiet. For the first time since the 3.0 were installed, I have no clunks.

Here is the list of parts the guys email me with the number to call: 6192586142
Bearings = 001-00-006-A / $33.00 each. 1 per shock
1. Reducers = 214-39-125-2 / $ 6.00 each. 2 per shock
1. O-Rings: 038-00-007-A / $ 1.00 each. 2 per shock
Part numbers/lower:
1. Bearings = 001-00-010-A / $71.00 each. 1 per shock
1. Reducers = 213-01-144-B / $11.00 each. 2 per shock
3. O-Rings: 038-00-039-A / $ 1.00 each. 2 per shock

Fyi the upper reducer sleeves that they sent me were also wrong. The inner diameter were too small for the upper bolts to fit through, so I just used the originals. Once again so much for their claim to make high precision components.
Also I never received the rubber o'rings, yet due to another screw up at fox, so I made some from neoprene washers I picked up at home depot, which did the trick.
I would start by pulling off the shocks and check to see if either has the same issues I listed above. If so then there's your fix. Just order the parts you need rom the list.
So do not let anyone ******** you telling you that these are high precision race shocks that are supposed to make noise. That's a ******* lie to cover their asses at fox so they don't have to take responsibility and fix their mistakes. These are over priced average race shocks in my opinion. I wish I had bought Icon.
I would be willing to join a class action suit against Fox if anyone wants to get one going due to the fraud the have spewed out to all of us Gen 1 raptor owners who bought their shocks and then were lied to about them, and told us to deal with it. They need to be held accountable.
Yes I get fired up every time I see someone else with the same problem on the forums. I've emailed them what I have found yet they still do not take responsibility. So I highly suggest staying far away from fox products. Just saying.

josh64

Reaction score
Been fighting the same issue as well. The clunk I get is from the right front and only happens when the suspension unloads after a sharp bump. There was play in the UCA, changed it and still a clunk. Changed lower ball joints as well, no improvement. Purchased the lower bolts from Forged, no change. I don't recall the reducers being loose on any of the bearings but I will double check when I go back in there for IWE delete.