Review: Alcon Brakes for Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptor556

Reaction score
I read that entire article. Not One Word about the actual documented improvement in stopping distance. A lot about "feelings" and how high tech & pretty it is. I get that they have military contracts, but for those of us who are NOT funded by the DOD, we would like to see a comparison with oem brakes. And how many dollars does it cost to shave how many feet from 60mph to zero? Show me the math on making my 3 ton Gen1 stop better with those bolt-on front brakes and I'll order them right now.
I like this guy. Not phased by the ********.

I love it when people say how much a product made their truck "feel" different, with nothing to back it up.

oooo these stainless brake lines make the truck feel so much better. hahahaha no they don't dude. You just changed out the brake fluid and now you are comparing old pads and old fluid to new pads and new fluid. no shit it feels better.

Show the emergency lane change drills in direct comparison, etc

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I like this guy. Not phased by the ********.

I love it when people say how much a product made their truck "feel" different, with nothing to back it up.

oooo these stainless brake lines make the truck feel so much better. hahahaha no they don't dude. You just changed out the brake fluid and now you are comparing old pads and old fluid to new pads and new fluid. no shit it feels better.

Show the emergency lane change drills in direct comparison, etc
Here is the best I can find for ~8:00 am on the morning.

Full disclosure I have stainless braided soft lines. I bought them because I didn’t need them acting like limit straps

raptor556

Reaction score
Brake failures do happen. Having said that ALL oem vehicles have them because failures of that sort are more rare than my gf bringing home 3 hot friends for me to bang.

There are exceptions to everything. But normal street driving just don't need stainless lines.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Brake failures do happen. Having said that ALL oem vehicles have them because failures of that sort are more rare than my gf bringing home 3 hot friends for me to bang.

There are exceptions to everything. But normal street driving just don't need stainless lines.
Agreed, of course you don’t need them. If they were needed they would come from the factory as a requirement. If you want to go that far, name an aftermarket modification that someone does need.

I assumed you were more or less asking for testing of soft lines and I found and article that lists the SAE tests for them and somewhat described how the tests were/are performed.

As stated above, I have the braided lines, I’m not sure if they really changed the braking feel/performance or not. That would back up your claim if I can’t really tell. I also didn’t buy them for improving the braking of the vehicle.

Now the real take away that probably warrants more looking into is the design life of rubber brake lines. Common sense would tell you that they don’t last forever. Never would have thought 3 years was the design life though. That could be from the point of view of someone selling brake lines though (create a sense of urgency). Interesting non the less though.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lines are a "feel and response" upgrade. And unless your OE lines are flexing you won't likely notice. You have to have some sort of sophisticated pressure/timing gear to test any improvement in that area I guess. The fluid starts moving the piston sooner, but its not like they reduce braking distance once under the same pressure. You can throw safety out there too, but unless under extremely harsh conditions I can really see that being an issue in todays sue happy world.

raptor556

Reaction score
Agreed, of course you don’t need them. If they were needed they would come from the factory as a requirement. If you want to go that far, name an aftermarket modification that someone does need.

I assumed you were more or less asking for testing of soft lines and I found and article that lists the SAE tests for them and somewhat described how the tests were/are performed.

As stated above, I have the braided lines, I’m not sure if they really changed the braking feel/performance or not. That would back up your claim if I can’t really tell. I also didn’t buy them for improving the braking of the vehicle.

Now the real take away that probably warrants more looking into is the design life of rubber brake lines. Common sense would tell you that they don’t last forever. Never would have thought 3 years was the design life though. That could be from the point of view of someone selling brake lines though (create a sense of urgency). Interesting non the less though.
cool man.

I say do what you like, it's your truck.

personally I'll put new brake lines on the bottom of the to do list.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a potential compliment to the Alcons… that someone brought up a few pages back. As they do with every mid to low range platform I’ve ever been involved with when brakes come up.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
In our video below, we provide the exact distances from our testing from 60-0mph. Note, we are on aftermarket 20x9 wheels with 325/60R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. A lighter wheel and tire setup will have improved results.

Stock Brakes:
Run 1: 144ft
Run 2: 145ft
Run 3: 151ft

Alcon Brakes, front and rear:
Run 1: 105ft
Run 2: 108ft
Run 3: 112ft

We have these kits in stock and ready to ship if. Feel free to reach out if I can answer anymore questions.