Reliability vs Tundra TRD PRO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Blessing

Reaction score
I guess everything has been covered in these the above Posts of Tundra Vs Raptor.... except for one thing.... Tundra needs to get the Hell out of the way because all it's going to see is Raptor Taillights fading in the distance.......

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maintenance wise both trucks will be the same for diffs, transfer case, oil etc...Only difference will be the shocks for the Raptor will cost more for rebuilding.

Reliability is a crapshoot, and I don't mean that in a negative way.
I've read enough forums for any truck that have some get 100k issue free trucks and others who have their truck in the shop for weeks before 10k miles.

If you are concerned about issues popping up here and there, get a 5-6 year extended warranty for ~2k.

TurboTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm a Toyota fan as well, I did my share of 4 Lexus and 2 Toyotas, actually I still have a Corolla for "daily driving" since I bought my Raptor in Oct 31, I can't get enough of this truck, I owned VW, Mazda, Chevy, Renault, Mitsubishi, Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Porsche and this truck is one of the top 3 more fun to drive vehicles that I ever owned, what was supposed to be a weekend vehicle, became my daily driver, life is too short to drive boring cars especially if you're planning to keep it for 5 or more years.

THIS ^^^. This is a wise man

(Please tell me the Mitsu was a 4G63 or 4B11T engine)

I came to the same conclusions as him. Go out and have fun with these! If the only fun for your day is the drive to work, a Raptor will make it better; especially as your spotting skills improve at locating urban jumps.

Mine hit 10k miles Sunday night hauling a Christmas tree home after driving through feet of snow to find one over thanksgiving weekend. I feel that it symbolizes how my Raptor gets used. Life is short, have some Raptor fun and explode the world!

Here I am 7 months after purchase and even more in love with it! My gf is like, “I think we might need more flour for my recipe” I shout “on it” and run out the door excited to drive my Raptor and even more excited that the parking lot might have one of those rock crawling snow parks.

As for reliability, the only one with good data is Consumer Reports. IIRC, the Tundra and the F150 were dead even. I can check when I have some time.

JerseyMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
drove a 2019 tundra TRD PRO before getting the Raptor (was fairly set on the tundra as I like a V8). The problem I had was the lack of features and price point, when I started looking around I found that the Raptor in 800A trim is only a couple thousand more than the Tundra (I was planning on a 2020 so it would have apple CarPlay). Anyhow, found a nice raptor 3 hours away 800a and negotiated a great deal over the phone (basically 3k more than the Tundra plus a lot for my trade). Factor in the set of bigger, more agressive tires you will need to get for the Tundra and the price gap narrows even further to around $1500.

I bought the truck without even test driving it. I was a bit worried as I had never driven the EcoBoost. picked it up and drove 3 hours home with a grin on my face. There is really no comparison, the Tundra TRD Pro is a cool truck with a great exhausts note but the Raptor is like nothing else, feels like a large dune buggy and hauls ass. Also the raptor gets considerably better fuel economy (16-17 average v. 13 with the Tundra)