Reliability of 2018 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lucasow

Reaction score
Just curious how reliable is the 3.5 engine in the 2018 Raptor. I have a chance to snag a single owner 2018 with 97k miles on it for $43k. Just looking for a truck to have fun with and take dirt bikes to the desert once a month or so with my son. I have a sports car that is a twin turbo and it is known for Turbo issues and is upwards of $10k to replace the turbos if they go out. So just curious on the reliability of the 3.5 twin turbo the Raptor has in it and if I should worry about the turbos on this one. It will be sold form my local dealer as a CPO and I will buy an extended warranty so not worried about the cost of repairs more if it is prone to issues so I know if I will more than likely have to deal with some. It has had all of the required maintenance and they have a log of all the work done to it for me and it was sold and traded in at the same dealership. I drove it today and drove a 2019 with 36k miles on it and really didn't notice a difference. No extra rattles or shakes. So seems like a pretty solid truck and I don't have to pay upwards of $60k for it.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
Turbo issues have not been prevalent. There is a cam phaser issue in the 18's that you will want to look into and see if it has been fixed. Also, shocks will most likely need to be rebuilt. Loved my '18. You're gonna be happy either way.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
2019s have live valve shocks which are better then the 17-18 blues. Not a big deal if going to upgrade, but if not I would go for a 19-20. Plus you can get them with the better looking beadlock wheels. As with any vehicle, the more vehicle maintenance history you can get the better.

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And more, if you go to a 20's built from december 19 and after, you won't have to look after cam phaser which is already update !

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Just curious how reliable is the 3.5 engine in the 2018 Raptor. I have a chance to snag a single owner 2018 with 97k miles on it for $43k. Just looking for a truck to have fun with and take dirt bikes to the desert once a month or so with my son. I have a sports car that is a twin turbo and it is known for Turbo issues and is upwards of $10k to replace the turbos if they go out. So just curious on the reliability of the 3.5 twin turbo the Raptor has in it and if I should worry about the turbos on this one. It will be sold form my local dealer as a CPO and I will buy an extended warranty so not worried about the cost of repairs more if it is prone to issues so I know if I will more than likely have to deal with some. It has had all of the required maintenance and they have a log of all the work done to it for me and it was sold and traded in at the same dealership. I drove it today and drove a 2019 with 36k miles on it and really didn't notice a difference. No extra rattles or shakes. So seems like a pretty solid truck and I don't have to pay upwards of $60k for it.
Does either truck NOT have the moon roof? If so, that’s your truck. Unlikely, there are like 3-500 per model year, but if you can snag a no moonroof truck, you save yourself the upkeep and potential breakage which always happens at an inconvenient time. if they both have the moonroof, see if either truck has had the shocks rebuilt or replaced, they need it at 40-60k miles and it’s not an inexpensive endeavor. Even more so for the live valve trucks.

The advantage of the live valve trucks is that the shocks are implemented into the truck’s drive modes, which is the one thing the ‘19+ have over previous years. That and that ugly, smurf-vomit-blue interior.

Maintenance record are super important. Regular oil changes before 10k miles, note any cam phaser repair attempts and if it’s an early model ’18, check for a plastic oil pain. Ford switch to a metal pan early in the ’18 MY due to difficulty installing the plastic pan correctly at the factory, and an abysmal record of repair failures because stealerships just would not follow the procedure to replace them correctly.

To me, the ’19 with 36k on seems like a smarter option than a 100k mile ’18.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
To me, the ’19 with 36k on seems like a smarter option than a 100k mile ’18.
I'd agree if it was a daily driver. He said he's only going to use it 1 or 2 times per month to take out the dirtbikes. Not sure if it is worth 17k more to go with the 19 if the 18 is all updated. And, under normal driving, I noticed no difference between my 18 blues and my 21 live valves.

OP
OP
L

lucasow

Reaction score
Turbo issues have not been prevalent. There is a cam phaser issue in the 18's that you will want to look into and see if it has been fixed. Also, shocks will most likely need to be rebuilt. Loved my '18. You're gonna be happy either
It might turn into a daily once he has some seat tim
I'd agree if it was a daily driver. He said he's only going to use it 1 or 2 times per month to take out the dirtbikes. Not sure if it is worth 17k more to go with the 19 if the 18 is all updated. And, under normal driving, I noticed no difference between my 18 blues and my 21 live valves.
I will drive it more than just those 1-2 times a month just to keep miles spread more evenly in my cars. It would be a paceman princess other than those couple times. It does have a good maint history of oil changes every 5k miles and it has a metal oil pan. Show work in the cam phaser at 82k mikes and the shocks were rebuilt at 75k miles. Both have the sunroof which I actually want. Thanks for all of your input. I will be going back this week and making a decision. My other option is just going new and getting a Tremor F-250 and call it a day. Just really like the look and ride of the Raptor.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
Well, those are two completely different choices. Lol. Having said that, i had a lifted 2013 superduty. I'd take a 18 Raptor with 100k over a new superduty every single time. Just my driving preference.