100K Mile 2017-2018 Gen 2 Reliability vs 2013 Gen 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I know the 2013-2015 Gen 1's I'm looking at are basically bulletproof from reading here over the years so 100,000 miles is nothing but what is the general consensus on a 2017 or 2018 with similar mileage?

I recall the Cam Phase thing being an issue on the 2017 and 2018's but can't recall at what mileage that happens or what the repair cost is. Is it a one time deal or recurring?

Do Gen 2's run pretty problem free to 150,000 to 200,000 miles like the Gen 1 or no? I'm starting to prefer the tech and styling of a Gen 2 over a Gen 1 but the reliability makes me lean towards a Gen 2. A low mileage Gen 1 is the same price as a 80,000 mileage Gen 2 4-5 years apart in age.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To be fair @JJ Ryan It is about your preference. I do not know what breaks on the GEN 1. I have seen guys that are new to the forums with GEN 1s and are very happy.

That being said, I would imagine that things would be massively cheaper on a GEN 1 if they would need to be replaced.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
87 is fine in the 6.2L.

Once you factor in the huge uptick in cost for premium vs 87, any MPG savings from the V6 is a wash at best- and it might cost more out of pocket despite the higher MPGeeez.

$4.69 vs $3.55 for 92 vs 87 here. Premium is 32% more expensive.

My Gen 1 has averaged 13.5 MPG over the last 30K miles I've owned it. You'd need to avg nearly 18 MPGs with the premium fuel to get the same mileage per dollar spent. I've not seen any Gen 2 or Gen 3 guys averaging 18 MPGs.

That said, you can run the EB V6 on 87 as well, but it's going to knock- and when it does, the engine will pull timing/power.

You could split the differnce and only run high octane in the summer when the EB engine is more prone to pre-igintion/detonation, and run the cheaper stuff in the spring/fall/winter when the intake air is cold and the intercooler is super efficient.

David Godbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JJ, both the Gen 1 & 2 like and deserve the best gas you can get in your area. Both are performance vehicles not economy. If you are concerned about the price of gas then you should look for something else. Raptor owners don’t give a crap about the cost of gas. That said, I love those Gen 1 rides but I would take the Gen 2 every time.

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
JJ, both the Gen 1 & 2 like and deserve the best gas you can get in your area. Both are performance vehicles not economy. If you are concerned about the price of gas then you should look for something else. Raptor owners don’t give a crap about the cost of gas. That said, I love those Gen 1 rides but I would take the Gen 2 every time.

I'm already spending money on Non Ethanol 91 in my BMW so already used to paying the gas premium so that's not an issue. Just trying to weight both trucks side by side. Love the look of the Gen 2 and interior styling but nothing sounds like a V8. I also haven't driven either generation in a while. Going to test drive a Gen 2 that's for sale locally either late tomorrow or sometime Saturday hopefully. I recall the Gen 1 feeling like a truck and the Gen 2 feeling more like an SUV the last time I drove it. Never owned a truck before so can't really comment on what I would prefer long-term since I haven't spent more than a day in either one of them though. Any particular reason you prefer the ride of the Gen 1 over the Gen 2?

wazatataza

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When shopping around, I found myself in a similar situation and ultimately chose the Gen 2. I must say, the cabin upgrade is truly remarkable. The abundance of creature comforts makes a significant difference in your driving experience, particularly with features like CarPlay and ******** vents. The ride refinement and power of the Gen 2 are noticable to say the least. Personally, I purchased my Gen 2 when it had 15,000 miles on it, and now I've driven it just over 67,000 miles. Out of those, 40,000 miles I had it tuned, and recently, I upgraded it with a goose tune. still pulling like a freight train with nothing but the routine plug and fluid changes.

However, the ultimate decision should be based on your personal experience. I highly recommend test driving both yourself to see which aspects you appreciate the most. Each person's preferences can differ, so getting behind the wheel will allow you to make an informed choice.