Reliability vs Tundra TRD PRO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bruno Marques

Reaction score
Looking to make my next purchase and prefer the Raptor but reliability is a big factor for me. I put about 20-24k miles a year and would like to keep truck for about 5-6 year. What should I expect with repairs and maintenance? Thanks

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reliability scores for Toyota are tough to beat, however fun-per-mile scores are way in favor of the Raptor. I looked at the Tundra Pro and thought it was just too boring.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a thread on here that discusses the testing of Toyota trucks vs. other trucks, including the F150. These were more structurally oriented, but I was blown away by how flimsy the Toyota frame was compared to the F150, and of course the Raptor is further reinforced beyond that. I assume you are thinking more in terms of powertrain reliabililty, but structure is relevant as well. Anyway, from what I have read, most of the issues you hear about on the forums have been worked out (fixed) in the 2019, and the 2020 will be in the same position. Given how much nicer and cooler the Raptor is over the Tundra, I think it's an easy call.

Todd Sherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it helps, I just traded in a 2019 Tundra TRD Pro Crew Max for a 2019 Raptor. I can say that I liked my TRD Pro a lot, but honestly there is no comparison, my Raptor is in a different league all together. Reliability wise, only time will tell. Sounds petty, but the crappy urithane steering wheel, no heated seats overall sub par features and entertainment system grew old quick for me on the Tundra and Ford does all of this really well.

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you using the truck for? The Raptor is significantly faster everywhere and better off road, but if it will never see dirt the Tundra has better payload and tow ratings.

Tundras are definitely in need of an update. I would not buy a new truck in 2020 with an engine from 2007.

Tim Yarnell

Reaction score
My 2019 Raptor is the best built vehicle I've ever had - and I'm 56 years old. Not one thing wrong with it. No squeaks or rattles. Awesome powertrain. Exceptional interior and functionality. Arguably, the best vehicle on the market today. 10,000 miles on it.

Bryantbjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had both. Neither have given me a serious issue. Toyota seems to be bit agreeable for warranty issues in my options. I’d recommend both.

CB6464

Reaction score
I can honestly say I haven’t spent a penny on one repair with my 14 raptor. Not a penny. Maybe I’m lucky...and it’s not from babying it. Besides a recent bearing gone bad sound and very small rear diff leak just appearing - I’m thumbs up on the raptor.

bloverby

Reaction score
I traded a 2015 Tundra for a 2018 Raptor recently. Hands down the Tundra is the most reliable truck. Drove my Tundra off the lot and it never once went back to the dealer for a single thing in over 4 years of ownership. The raptor is on it's 3rd visit to the shop for repairs already and I've only had it a few months and 5,000 miles. Definitely won't be keeping the Raptor once it's out of warranty.