Reliability vs Tundra TRD PRO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VelociRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a first time truck owner and immediately went for the best, it is the best, 16 m/o with 21k miles, any of my previous cars took more than 2 years to get that much mileage and i simply can’t get enough of it, on or off the road.
Reliability? I’m not sure, i used to drive a Toyota Avensis (EU model) which was far from reliable so i’m not a fan of the brand...

two24studios

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I came from a 2015 Toyota Tacoma before purchasing my 19 Raptor. I love Toyota's reliability, resale value, and community. However, they are WAY behind on the technology side and this is the main reason I wanted to get out of my Tacoma. The Entune system is garbage.

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was about to post something similar. I have a 2019 TRD PRO Tacoma and I am considering the Raptor. I do go off road a few times a year

I have seen many threads on tsbs as well as oil leaks, transmission and most recently phaser issues . Have these been addressed in the 19s and 20s?

Hard to argue Toyota reliability, but the Tundra is sure in need of an update. I’m not considering a Tundra because quite frankly they seem really boring. The Raptor looks like a hell of a time

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I came from a 2015 Toyota Tacoma before purchasing my 19 Raptor. I love Toyota's reliability, resale value, and community. However, they are WAY behind on the technology side and this is the main reason I wanted to get out of my Tacoma. The Entune system is garbage.

The third gens (16+) are better, but still missing key features (lane keep assist). Mostly because they don’t have electric assisted steering.

wilddog

Reaction score
I looked at a '19 Tundra TRD PRO when I decided to upgrade from my '16 Tundra TSS.... I bought a '19 Raptor.

the Tundra is pretty much a decade behind in every category. I couldn't see spending that kind of coin on a truck that's a marginal upgrade from what was "dated" when I bought my '16.

as for reliability; my Tundra had a random engine miss that was practically impossible to diagnose as it didn't trip the CEL. fuel pump, coils, plugs, intake, injectors, etc. tested and or replaced all kinds of shit with no resolution. Toyota dealer was ZERO help figuring it out.

will my Raptor ever have issues? who knows. so far I've put 10,000 hard miles on it since September and it's been the single most enjoyable truck I've ever owned.

Toyota is considered the most reliable brand... F-150 IS the best selling truck.

keep in mind, most any testimonials you get on a forum will be anecdotal at best.

wilddog

Reaction score
I had a 2008 TundraTRD until 2018. I was waiting for the substantial upgrades to come out on the 2019—they didn’t. It is a 13 year old design with minimal changes so I looked at the Raptor and the technology crushed the Tundra. I did have 2 Major issues with my 2018. Sunroof leaked substantially and I had to have ALL carpet replaced and the roof removed to repair and then a year later the Cam phasers went bad. Both under warranty and loss of 2 months of use. Pay attention to any racket on a cold start!!
Otherwise love the vehicle!

Lightning_Lad

Reaction score
Okay, I’m prefacing this post with, I’m looking Hard at 2019 / 2020 Raptors. Not trolling but I do understand where the OP is coming from.

I currently own a 2017 Tundra Platinum- PRO 4x4. ( Platinum with all the TRD Pro parts)

The Tundra gets 13 MPG around town, 17-18 on the highway if I baby it.

The interior lacks amenities, very few charging ports, cubbies, infotainment. Entune is garbage. I upgraded to a Tesla style head unit and love it.

Seats are comfortable and holding up well after 2.5 years of use.

4x4 is okay, it’s gotten me outta a few tough situations. However a good set of Toyo R/T’s and lower psi probably helped more.

TRD PRO suspension is nice not Raptor nice by any measure but definitely a huge improvement over stock.

Build quality. It’s assembled here in the USA in Texas.
Everything feels solid and simplistic, no squeaks, creaks, leaks or rattles since Jan 2017.

It feels heavy compared to any 2017+ raptor.
Steering is numb with little connection to the road. Raptor feels more like a sporty responsive vehicle.

Apart from scheduled oil changes and maintenance no repairs so far.

It’s reliable because it’s a proven/dated design with 98% of the flaws worked out.
It IS definitely behind the times with any of the big 3 trucks in terms of mechanical tech and electronic tech.

A 2020 TRD PRO can’t compete with a 2014 Raptor. It’s still outdated.
It really can’t compete with a 2020 raptor it’s a Fukn’ dinosaur.

Tundra selling points, reliability and resale.
It won’t get you excited and going for late night hooning around town or spontaneous off-roading.

FWIW I’ve driven a 2014 Raptor and a 2018.

I’m just looking for the right deal before pulling the trigger.

WraptorBoy

Reaction score
2019 Sep build Raptor:

Not sure when y'all last checked but The 2020 Tundra interior has been redesigned. Push button start, keyless entry etc. The only reason that I didn't go Tundra was because of the 0-60 performance of the Raptor and, secondly, the older design of the Tundra prior to 2020. If the Tundra equaled the performance of the Raptor (like it did with the Tundra Supercharged), I likely would have gone with the Tundra (but then would have kicked myself not getting the Tundra 2020 and the new design).

That being said, I think the Raptor has more and better features. The 360 camera is great and unique. Once you get used to it, it's very handy (specifically for parking). Though, it would be great if you could press the cam button and have the 360 view be much larger on the screen.

I love the height of the Raptor. With the giant KO2s its very quiet inside and out and looks great. Tundra, for me, looks great too.

Raptor performance is unparalleled. Put it in sport mode and floor it... hold mother of pearl!

Some downsides: when I close my driver door, the whole truck shimmies. Not a very safe feeling. The ride is pretty bouncy. I'm told this is a "truck ride". I'm used to it now but I expected perfection due to the insane Fox suspension setup. Can't speak for the Tundra.

In the Raptor, I do have the 2-4 hour warm engine hesitation (or trans slip whatever) issue. Annoying and can be dangerous but you can't really bring it in to fix it because it doesn't throw a code. It happens once during a ride... maybe

The Ford 10 spd transmission is jerky all around. I feel it clunking when hot and more when it's warming up, as others have. Not unexpected with the number of gears over 5 or 6, as found in contemporary transmissions. Under normal driving conditions the transmission seems fine. In sport mode, even when hot, the trans is very jerky on deceleration... to the point you feel like the rear wheels may lock up. My Lexus has a 5 speed and is flawless up and down the gear tree hot warm or cold and is 20 years old with 190K miles on it (as all prior trans in my vehicles have been). Can't speak of the Tundra trans but it's only 6 so I'm going to assume it's normal and smooth all around.

MPG: I don't really care about this anymore but, the Raptor gets a stready 16MPG on my indicator. My Dodge Charger scat pack (V8 6.4L) got 16 and my Lexus GS400 (V8 4.0L) gets about 15. So all performance and all around the same. Of course that's just me and mostly city type driving.

For me, the SCAB was a good fit and makes the truck length several inches shorter so fits well in the garage :). Another issue for me with the Tundra is all models are the same length. The bed and cab will change length but the overall length is the same and may be uncomfortably long for the garage.

I look at it this way: yes all manufacturers have issues but with Toyota, the chance of getting an issue is much lower.

I suspect that Tundra owners don't care much about performance and features. They use the truck for doing truck things much like your standard F150 owners do.

Raptor owners enjoy a more fun ride and performance. The Raptor is still a truck, but it's very light and more sport car like.

If quality is your main concern, go 2020 Tundra Platinum. Army Green is beautiful.

If performance and fun factor is your main concern, go 2020 Raptor 802a.

If you're going to swap out in a few years regardless, get the Raptor.