GEN 2 Rear Main Seal repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

STHenry

Reaction score
I dropped my 2018 off at the dealership for an oil leak on Monday October 30th. Dealer tells me it is the rear main seal and they expect the repair will take 4 to 5 days. Here we are on November 10th and I have no word from the dealer. Only took it to them as it was covered under extended warranty. I have called them multiple times and of course they never call back. Plan to drop by later this afternoon just to check on the status of the truck. Really just came to see if anyone is aware of a shortage of parts for this repair?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
If it’s a part needed for a Raptor, it’s on “national backorder” 85% of the time. :-/

I hope they have you back off road soon.

OP
OP
STHenry

STHenry

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. They tell me that the truck will be ready on Monday. Of course I had to stop at the dealership and speak to the service advisor since they don't seem capable of answering any calls.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bet you $50 a rear main seal does not fix it. Rear main seal on 3.5 ecoboost is extremely rare. Failure rate of less than 2%, vacuum pump mounted at rear of passengers cylinder head has a Failure rate of pretty much 100%. (Oil leaking).
Drips on top top of transmission and down. I admit it "looks" like a rear main.
I replace 4-6 vacuum pumps a month for oil leaks.
At least 50% have been prediagnosed as rear main.

weakssauce

Reaction score
Bet you $50 a rear main seal does not fix it. Rear main seal on 3.5 ecoboost is extremely rare. Failure rate of less than 2%, vacuum pump mounted at rear of passengers cylinder head has a Failure rate of pretty much 100%. (Oil leaking).
thats some good info! ill keep an eye on mine. Does the whole vacuum pump need to be replaced or just the seal/Oring?

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The eco boost came out in 2009 and Ford is still have these types of failures.
2% failure rate seems very high. That is about 7000 new truck repairs a year. That alone seems like recall numbers. But a 100% for a vacuum pump? It’s a bit Smokey in here.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Definitely rare. Gen 2 3.5 no longer has a vacuum pump though, that was only ‘13-‘16 Gen 1.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The eco boost came out in 2009 and Ford is still have these types of failures.
2% failure rate seems very high. That is about 7000 new truck repairs a year. That alone seems like recall numbers. But a 100% for a vacuum pump? It’s a bit Smokey in here.
I am talking over the life of the vehicle, not failure in the first year.