GEN 2 Rear Clunk Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M_NorthRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone figure out what the bonk/thud/clunk sound is or was. The past couple weeks I've been hearing this in the majorities scenarios as well.
But mines every time I drive my truck. Let downs (driveways) I definitely get a sound but also get it when at slower speeds as well, off camber spots as well.
I think its the drive shaft perhaps but who knows. I got some gopro videos but don't see anything moving in them
All info is appreciated

JD25

Reaction score
So I google searched this but found so many results with all sorts of issues that I thought I would just ask in case someone has an answer at the ready ...

I've noticed this noise coming from the rear of my truck almost from the time it was new. It happens infrequently at lower speeds and the best way I can describe it is that it sounds the same way as if I ran over a loose manhole. In fact every time I hear it I keep looking in my rear view mirror for a manhole but none is there. I don't actually feel it on the steering wheel or by the seat of my pants, it's just this dull clunking noise. For a while I thought that it might be something stored in my Decked system that was loose but then it did it when I had emptied it.

Anyone else have this, is it normal, or should I have it looked at? I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow for scheduled service and I will mention it, but if someone knows what it is it will save me some time over them having to drive it to diagnose it. Especially because I can't figure out how to reproduce it.

Thanks

JD25

Reaction score
So I google searched this but found so many results with all sorts of issues that I thought I would just ask in case someone has an answer at the ready ...

I've noticed this noise coming from the rear of my truck almost from the time it was new. It happens infrequently at lower speeds and the best way I can describe it is that it sounds the same way as if I ran over a loose manhole. In fact every time I hear it I keep looking in my rear view mirror for a manhole but none is there. I don't actually feel it on the steering wheel or by the seat of my pants, it's just this dull clunking noise. For a while I thought that it might be something stored in my Decked system that was loose but then it did it when I had emptied it.

Anyone else have this, is it normal, or should I have it looked at? I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow for scheduled service and I will mention it, but if someone knows what it is it will save me some time over them having to drive it to diagnose it. Especially because I can't figure out how to reproduce it.

Thanks

JD25

Reaction score
I’m having the same issue that you described. Took it over to a local mechanic. He gave everything a shake and we could t find anything. Most people are pointing towards the leaf springs. I’m due for an oil change soon and I’ll mention it to the dealer and see what they say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter