Strange noise and clunk at highway speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PTobias

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hoping for some help or guidance if this has happened to anyone else

I have a 2018 Raptor that is generally easy driven on roads with 70K miles

Coming back home from on a 6 hour drive, strange noise coming from "underneath" that sounds like paper being crumpled and getting louder (could hear it over 80 mph road noise), then a clunk, and then everything goes back to normal.

it happened about 6 times on this trip at random intervals while cruising in 10th gear (ie. no downshift or upshift).

At first I thought the sound was just road noise on different levels of smoothness of blacktop, but the clunk made me think otherwise

any help or guidance to point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

I haven't had the chance to put it on a code reader yet.

Thanks in advance,
Phil

Reaction score
While I agree with the reasonable expectations this forum has of the suspected prius OP, they are exactly describing recent experience I've been having with my 2017. Is this an IWE issue?

OP
OP
PTobias

PTobias

Reaction score
so started looking into the IWE issue and would like to add a note that I changed the front wheel hub on the driver side a couple of weeks ago.

No strange behaviors on the 6 hour drive out, it all started on the 6 hour drive back home

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
so started looking into the IWE issue and would like to add a note that I changed the front wheel hub on the driver side a couple of weeks ago.

No strange behaviors on the 6 hour drive out, it all started on the 6 hour drive back home
Did the issue start after hub replacement? There a specific procedure to follow when replacing a hub or IWE.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I feel like the Prius references have some deeper meaning. I did however go and look underneath the truck for a crumpled up Prius, and did not see any such residue.
I actually managed to trap a gallon milk jug that had made its way on to the roadway once. It made a strange noise, but not like you describe. The thing made its way up over top of the right leaf near the shock.