GEN 2 Rear Clunk Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coder

Reaction score
It's the rear driveshaft slip-yoke sliding, with a slight lag, then all at once, back into the transfer-case. This problem has been around for years. You can put spray some dry-lube on there but, it's only a temporary fix. It doesn't really hurt anything however it's very annoying.

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It is the ghost of @Sasquatch77 still trying to convince you to abandon your powertrain warranty by holing the charge air cooler on your Raptor.

seriously, have not heard or felt this.

good luck.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I just got some gas, filled her up about 8/10ths, drove away, and the noise happened a couple of times. Hard to believe that it's a coincidence. Anyone know if there's something in the gas tank that shifts by design depending on how much fuel there is in it?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
there’s a known “pop” or clunk that’s been reported after fill ups, sometimes confused with a backfire - or, in FRF lore, a “back fire”

There’s a thread on it here.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there’s a known “pop” or clunk that’s been reported after fill ups, sometimes confused with a backfire - or, in FRF lore, a “back fire”

There’s a thread on it here.

Found the thread http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f261/back-fire-59880/

I think the idea that it's exhaust related is mistaken, at least that's not how it sounds to me. The theory that it might be vapor recovery system related sounds more plausible, although I'm not sure how that would work.

Anyhoot, it seems normal so I'm not going to worry about it for now.

Speedracer800

Reaction score
Just got my new 18 Raptor and I was searching for answers to this mysterious clunk when I came across this thread.

I think it's a transmission issue as well. I hear it on deceleration and I think it's the transmission downshifting.. At least that's what it seems to be.

Interesting thought regarding the fuel level though because I was getting it quite often a few days ago after filling with fuel but now since my fuel level is getting a bit low (1/4 tank).. I'm not getting it anymore.

Leaving tomorrow for a long road trip and I'll definitely pay more attention to this in relation to the gas gauge.. Ya never know.

I'm new to the forum and you guys have been a terrific resource for a new owner like myself.. Thank you!

Ag Surfer

Reaction score
Serge, so bizarre that I found you on here by googling this exact issue. Anyways, I hear it everytime I come to stop after filling up with gas. It last about 2-3 stops and then goes away. I’m wondering if there is a baffle or something in the fuel tank that is resetting after we fill up or maybe the tank is loose and the added weight of the fuel is reseating it? I also have a loose drivers seat that clicks every now and then. Quality must be Job 2 lately.

DrewFish11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve noticed the same thing after fill ups. Thought it was the driveshaft slip yoke so I strapped a GoPro underneath to watch it in action, all seems fine. No hang ups or sticking that cause the slip yoke to bind and pop.

I’ve always heard it after fill ups. Hopefully we can get a technical explanation for the noise. I’m curious as to what it might be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CA818

Reaction score
2018 Screw here. Have had the same strange noise experience. Sounds exactly as if I drove over a loose manhole cover. In fact I often look back looking for a manhole cover whenever the noise happens [emoji1750]‍[emoji3603]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just to confirm with what @smurfslayer stated about the backfire. I have used a go pro when mine was stock with 25 miles on it and had the same issue. It is vapors being caught in the exhaust causing the backfire. Normally happens right after a fill up. I can get mine now to replicate the same sound but I have to over fill and go WOT then down shift to make it happen after a fill up. Nothing to worry about, easy solution is to let you truck idle for a few min before taking off of run a steady throttle position to clear the vapors from your exhaust. As long as the noise is coming from the rear and not in your turbos you are ok. If you have the sound in your turbos then worry, I haven't heard anyone complain or mention they have had that issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter