Raptor Assault Worthwhile for Experienced Off-roaders?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
What is a “trail king”?
A “Trail King” is 1 Step Above the “Trail Boss” he leads the group with the “Trail Boss” as second in Command of the “Trail Adventure” Off-Roaders flock to the “Trail King” at every stop, to gain from his Vast Knowledge and Experience and to see what Kool Sh^€t he has done to his Ride....you get the picture

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A “Trail King” is 1 Step Above the “Trail Boss” he leads the group with the “Trail Boss” as second in Command of the “Trail Adventure” Off-Roaders flock to the “Trail King” at every stop, to gain from his Vast Knowledge and Experience and to see what Kool Sh^€t he has done to his Ride....you get the picture

I’m having a hard time figuring out if you’re being serious or sarcastic lol

D

Deleted member 12951

So some show-off had a sudden loss of talent and rolled their raptor two full flips?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So some show-off had a sudden loss of talent and rolled their raptor two full flips?

How? That little course seemed pretty safe if you were following instructions. Did they lose control and slide sideways into the berm? Go into a turn at a ridiculous speed? I know that nothing can be made foolproof because fools are so infernally clever, but I'd go again and I'd refuse the insurance again and I'd be comfortable doing it.

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
There were a few reason for the Roll Over. W/O just hammering the guy, because we all make mistakes. In fact I did the exact same thing out in the Grand Canyon Parashant National Monument, the difference was I was going about 80mph when I hit the 14” “dirt curb”.The only thing that saved me was 25+ years of EVOC training. I hit some cactus and a Mesquite tree/bush bending the sh%<#t out of my light bar, snapping off the drivers side running board, and punching a hole in the right rear tire. Changed the tire, drove back into Kanab UT and continued our Adventure. Note:The light bar saved me from airbag deployment. I need to get one on my 2019 asap.
The scenario on the Baja Course was this..the dirt curb was about the same as I had “encountered”, his speed was 40-50mph I would guess, based on my experience and the course set up. The turn was slightly banking up, tight “U”. He had a short straight away b4 the banking U to acquire his speed. He failed to scrub off his speed prior to Apexing the turn, thus entering the turn with to much speed. Not realizing the error, he tried to steer through it (This was the Major error) he hit the dirt curb with the wheels turned hard left and his energy carrying him straight, wheel/tire collapse, Truck uses that as pivot point to roll. Had the driver realized the error of carrying to much speed into the turn, he could have straightened out and just flew over the dirt curb w/o rolling and returned to the course.
It’s a common, easy mistake to make. Probably the only thing that saved me from the same mistake was seeing that truck beforehand. That and I don’t have 5k to donate. I’ve made the same error on my motorcycle when I was about 20, to much speed into the turn, I realized it, straightened the bike up, over the curb, into the grass.. lived to make the same mistake again(I’m a slooow learner) Sorry for the long dissertation..bottom line-we all make mistakes, hopefully we can learn from them.

Last edited:

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
How? That little course seemed pretty safe if you were following instructions. Did they lose control and slide sideways into the berm? Go into a turn at a ridiculous speed? I know that nothing can be made foolproof because fools are so infernally clever, but I'd go again and I'd refuse the insurance again and I'd be comfortable doing it.
See my “to long” not at the scene, accident report above. Lol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12951

There were a few reason for the Roll Over. W/O just hammering the guy, because we all make mistakes. In fact I did the exact same thing out in the Grand Canyon Parashant National Monument, the difference was I was going about 80mph when I hit the 14” “dirt curb”.The only thing that saved me was 25+ years of EVOC training. I hit some cactus and a Mesquite tree/bush bending the sh%<#t out of my light bar, snapping off the drivers side running board, and punching a hole in the right rear tire. Changed the tire, drove back into Kanab UT and continued our Adventure. Note:The light bar saved me from airbag deployment. I need to get one on my 2019 asap.
The scenario on the Baja Course was this..the dirt curb was about the same as I had “encountered”, his speed was 40-50mph I would guess, based on my experience and the course set up. The turn was slightly banking up, tight “U”. He had a short straight away b4 the banking U to acquire his speed. He failed to scrub off his speed prior to Apexing the turn, thus entering the turn with to much speed. Not realizing the error, he tried to steer through it (This was the Major error) he hit the dirt curb with the wheels turned hard left and his energy carrying him straight, wheel/tire collapse, Truck uses that as pivot point to roll. Had the driver realized the error of carrying to much speed into the turn, he could have straightened out and just flew over the dirt curb w/o rolling and returned to the course.
It’s a common, easy mistake to make. Probably the only thing that saved me from the same mistake was seeing that truck beforehand. That and I don’t have 5k to donate. I’ve made the same error on my motorcycle when I was about 20, to much speed into the turn, I realized it, straightened the bike up, over the curb, into the grass.. lived to make the same mistake again(I’m a slooow learner) Sorry for the long dissertation..bottom line-we all make mistakes, hopefully we can learn from them.
Gosh, I just can’t see that happening on that course. The only reason its a baja course is because they tell you to put it into baja mode. Its really just a small track with some turns and one embankment. The very first turn to the left is the only place where you could get any speed, if that and to roll it twice seems far fetched, maybe once or on it side or roof. I purchased their insurance because I had no idea what the course would be like. After taking it I probably wouldn’t have purchased it but for $100, I guess it was a small price to pay for a mere peace of mind.

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
Gosh, I just can’t see that happening on that course. The only reason its a baja course is because they tell you to put it into baja mode. Its really just a small track with some turns and one embankment. The very first turn to the left is the only place where you could get any speed, if that and to roll it twice seems far fetched, maybe once or on it side or roof. I purchased their insurance because I had no idea what the course would be like. After taking it I probably wouldn’t have purchased it but for $100, I guess it was a small price to pay for a mere peace of mind.
That’s exactly what I was thinking, I didn’t plan on F#>%king up their Raptor but S#>t happens. $5k is better than $75k. That’s all I was thinking and I know Ford has better attorney’s than me lol

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Insurance comes down to confidence and financial security. If you’re confident that you won’t blow it and you can afford to be wrong about that, then you should skip it. If you’re planning to ignore the instructors, definitely get it. If you can do what they tell you to do, you’re not going to need it.